• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM AT 80286: stacked memory chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

When I first got into IT the IBM PC, IBM XT and IBM AT were already obsolete but I remember seeing one IBM AT that was slated to be recycled having stacked memory DIPs. Each memory chip had another memory chip of the exact same size (I couldn't check the capacity or make because they were soldered together) soldered on top of it. What would be the point of this endeavor though? I think one of the mainframers said that this was to increase the amount of available RAM on the motherboard because the number of DIP sockets was severely limited (he said this trick was used previously in mainframes that had DIP memory). I don't understand how this could work though unless it was some sort of trick involving high order address bits being bused to the chip selects on the stacked DIP memory chip. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Back