• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its Official The Memory Situation Is Ridiculous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm now waiting for word to come out that it was corruption, ex. an executive that committed money laundering...

SSD prices went from nuts to "I need one" pretty quickly. That was all supply and demand. We had stupid cheap SSDs and RAM for a while, but I suspect those days are gone. I mentioned something in a similar thread about a year ago in reference to the "Golden Age Of RAM". LOL

Several of the major players, think Toshiba, Samsung, and Hynix, all have new fab facilities coming on line this year. The expectation is that around early spring there should be enough new capacity, especially for NAND, but RAM as well, to blanket the market, driving pricing competitively to near early 2017 pricing. I looked at what my Patriot Viper 3400 DDR4 cost today vs. last spring when I bought it and the price is double.

I'm noticing video cards starting to rise too, is it being affected by this as well? (seeing how they use ram and all)

Memory probably has a smaller impact on retail pricing of GPUs right now than the Mining Industry (I'm going to call it that). They're sucking up lots of good video cards, exacerbating the RAM issue. I don't really know what any given GPU's Bill of Materials (BoM) looks like on a component level basis, but I do know from reports that there isn't an end in sight for GPU's high prices. Perhaps this week's call by several country's gubmints to regulate/tax mining may eventually slow the pace. Remember though that throwing another problem on the issue isn't going to make it better either, just grows another branch of issues.

I read quite often that you get minimal performance impact from overclocking ram, so why not pick up some less expensive sticks and just work on overclocking cpu and cache instead?

Quick look over at Amazon seems to show typical ram sticks under 100 bucks and something hotter in the 200 range. I remember seeing similar prices 5 years ago..

Picked up at that time xms3 6gb triple1333 for 40something bucks. Similar price can be found now as well(for similar sticks)

Video cards have rysen though..xx60 version(560,460,6600,ect) used to run around 200. Not anymore..

I read quite often that you get minimal performance impact from overclocking ram, so why not pick up some less expensive sticks and just work on overclocking cpu and cache instead?

Quick look over at Amazon seems to show typical ram sticks under 100 bucks and something hotter in the 200 range. I remember seeing similar prices 5 years ago..

Picked up at that time xms3 6gb triple1333 for 40something bucks. Similar price can be found now as well(for similar sticks)

Video cards have rysen though..xx60 version(560,460,6600,ect) used to run around 200. Not anymore..

pffft wheres the fun in that? we have to have something to do once weve maxed out our cpu and gpu ocs! lol we are ocers man! we want the best of the best...so long as we can afford it that is.

Well, it's even more fun to make average ram perform like a set of top end super talents or whatever..
Isn't it what we used to do with 920's and run them fast? (i know some of you go even further in history) :D

Well, it's even more fun to make average ram perform like a set of top end super talents or whatever..
Isn't it what we used to do with 920's and run them fast? (i know some of you go even further in history) :D

DDR4 isn't quite that easy. You have average ram ( micron/hynix) and good ram Samsung "B" die. If you want to consistently run at 3400+ then you need Samsung. Same goes for the Ryzen platform. Hynix will work, sort of. Many times not at rated speed or timings. Samsung on the other hand runs like a dream. Any one who is overclocking seriously like myself NEED Samsung
Samsung ram always carries a premium compared to the others regardless of branding.

Yeah, it changed by itself when I checked in today. It looked like a female taco, I decided to switch that one out

And here I find myself trying to justify paying $50 more for RAM than the new CPU I'm buying. That's just F-ing nuts. $279 for GSkill Flare X 3200Mhz DDR4 that likely won't even be running at 3200MHz in my Asrock TaiChi is just too damn high.

I'm just going to say F-it and get slower RAM and, when the refreshed Ryzen line is out for a bit revisit my memory needs.

the problem is that pretty much all memory is overpriced right now. so the price difference between 2800 and 3200 isnt much at all for the most part. i would check neweggs daily deals. they usually have gskill or corsair 2400/3000/3200 on sale for less than $200. this is todays deal.
https://www.newegg.com/Special/Shel...age_SS-_-P2_1TS-000A-01MY0-_-01102018&Index=2

I stopped shopping at Newegg about 8 years ago after a really bad experience.

CRAP. My Corsair H110i dropped out of the cart. Gotta go add it back

Okay. Here's the finalized cart. Had to ditch the TaiChi because it didn't have enough USB Ports for my Oculus and sensors with all my other USB stuff.

1600X.jpg

Okay...why are BOTH versions of the screenshot showing up? I deleted the original one when I edited the post to put the finalized one into my post. Can a MOD fix, please? I cannot see the second screenshot or any code associated with it when I edit the post

Last edited:
Back