• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its Official The Memory Situation Is Ridiculous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

i try to keep track of components im planning on rebuying at some point(ssd,hdd,monitors,fans etc). my plan with my current memory was to get another 2x16gb around a year after the first purchase, which is about now. so price check time.
i knew it was bad but i didnt realize it had gotten this bad. i bought my mem from newegg on 10/1/2016 for $194.99 it is now $358.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232218
i simply cannot justify buying more. in fact i will likely be selling the 32gb i have and make a friggin 40% PROFIT! im going to give another brand a shot. seriously im on an intel platform that shows virtually no performance increase from tight timings and higher latency(and i knew this going in) but at the time prices were reasonablish. so i said meh i will spoil myself some being that i USED to be a hardcore memory dude and wanted to be able to play a bit with some 16gb modules. pft yeah
has there been another flood in malaysia? you know like the hdd flood but mem this time? i have looked everywhere i can think of and no one seems to mention anything about these idiotic prices! WHY!?! what are your theories?

edit: apparently cell phones are the blame along with none of the big 3 memory mannies building any new plants to alleviate their inability to fill orders on time. i call bs. why does it seem that the only exorbitant pricing is with certain modules and speeds hmmm?

Last edited:
The RAM I ordered on August 9th is $4 more today than when I ordered almost 3 months ago. Guess I won't be selling mine for much profit. I initially looked at the Ripjaws because I had them in my last build. But, I like the Trident Z better.

I first noticed ram prices increasing perhaps just over a year ago. In short, with the uptick in electronics there is a worldwide shortage of capacity and it is pushing up prices everywhere, but most visibly in ram and SSD pricing. Not a lot you can do about it...

I don't think the price increases are limited to any particular modules. They're all up from where I'm looking. I'd even take low speed grades just to backfill some systems but they're priced not much below nicer stuff.

RAM prices are going up and won't stop anytime soon. Couple of days ago I sold 2 memory kits. I got more for used with price drops and free shipping than I paid for them over a year ago.

Newegg has the TridentZ kit (2x8 GB, CAS 14, DDR4 3000) I bought 7/6/16 for $99.99 now listed at $209.99. Except it's out of stock. I knew I should have gotten a 32 GB kit. I could use the extra scratch for Christmas. LOL

The ram prices will stabilize as soon the smart phone market is saturated or when ddr5 is released. Rather Hoping we get hbm as replacement for the current ddr, but that's another topic entirely.

For those that would like to follow the memory market, this site is a must:

http://www.dramexchange.com/

The quick and simple of it all is that the memory fab houses switched from DRAM to NAND to catch up in SSD sales. This could have been as extreme as DRAM to NAND or to 2.5/3D NAND. The latter being a bigger change up in the fab houses and assembly lines. The RAM and SSD markets bounced back earlier this year/late last year, and these manufactures are now trying to compensate by driving productivity into both at the same time.

This is why you are seeing SSD and memory prices vary greatly. NVRAM, and NVMEM are disrupting the market as well in terms of driving costs. Samsung, and Micron are trying to recuperate as quickly as possible. We should see prices level back down next year or after.

Yeah, it's crazy.

I bought a 2x8GB DDR3-1866MHz memory kit when I built my computer two years ago for $64.99, that same kit is now $158.99 at the same store. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615

I could probably sell that same ram kit used for $90-130 and make an easy profit.

Glad I built my current main computer before the ram prices went insanely high I guess.

the thing with ddr3 is you can usually get it at a decent price on ebay or the classifieds. with ddr4 you are stuck going with retail period. something ive noticed is that crucial/micron is pretty much a no show on the scene with high end performance kits. no leds when they in fact were the first to implement it waaay back in the ddr2 ballistic days. they have i think 2 performance kits and both are black and way overpriced at their website. hvent checked them out anywhere else yet. i find it really hard to believe that the biggest mem manufacturer in the world cant keep up with ddr4 and ssd growth. remember these days?
http://www.classactionsnews.com/settlements/dram-antitrust-class-action-settlement
prices were just as bad back then. i smell a conspiracy... :p

the thing with ddr3 is you can usually get it at a decent price on ebay or the classifieds. with ddr4 you are stuck going with retail period. something ive noticed is that crucial/micron is pretty much a no show on the scene with high end performance kits. no leds when they in fact were the first to implement it waaay back in the ddr2 ballistic days. they have i think 2 performance kits and both are black and way overpriced at their website. hvent checked them out anywhere else yet. i find it really hard to believe that the biggest mem manufacturer in the world cant keep up with ddr4 and ssd growth. remember these days?
http://www.classactionsnews.com/settlements/dram-antitrust-class-action-settlement
prices were just as bad back then. i smell a conspiracy... :p

Just because you don't understand the market does not mean there is a conspiracy. I've already stated as much that THE manufactures for all DIMM/NAND/NVMe are currently unable to produce all three products at the same time. Dram Exchange, EETIMEs, and all the other communities have been alerting the markets since earlier this year, late last year this was going to happen.

Just because you don't understand the market does not mean there is a conspiracy. I've already stated as much that THE manufactures for all DIMM/NAND/NVMe are currently unable to produce all three products at the same time. Dram Exchange, EETIMEs, and all the other communities have been alerting the markets since earlier this year, late last year this was going to happen.

easy cheesy, it was a joke.

Ya the memory price are crazy, when i build 6 years ago i got 4x4gb (16gb) DDR3 for $100, i am glad i did not wait, my friend also got ram at the same time but bought it on black friday and paid $35 for 2x4gb (8gb) if he wanted to upgrade to 16gb and its like $80 for the Same stick of ram from 6 years ago!
my brother is building and Ram is like $300 for two 16gb DDr4!

I purchased my G.SKILL 3200 CL14 16GB for $99.99 now it is $224.99 :eek:

DRAM prices could skyrocket after already doubling in the last year LINK: http://www.pcgamer.com/dram-prices-could-skyrocket-after-already-doubling-in-the-last-year/
to bad you didnt load up on them. you could make a killing now!
its already started. i last checked mine on 10/23 they were $358. its now $489. that is just stupid. they cant possibly be selling them at that price can they?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232218

High demand and limited production. Also take a notice that there are only 3 main maufacturers.
Since mobile devices are better profit then most chips are going there. PC sales are going down each year while mobile devices are selling better so there is nothing weird in this situation.
Some years ago prices of DRAM were so low that production was barely profitable. Since then all manufacturers were trying to bump prices and make agreements to keep prices above some level. Other reason is that a lot of companies are selling SSD so part of production moved from DRAM to NAND. SSD are much better profit than DDR modules.

Because of this situation barely any memory manufacturer wants to send anything for review. Some want samples back after tests what was never happening in previous years. I won't make a list of manufacturers but you see that in this year I'm testing less memory kits than I used to in last years. Also prices are too high to buy memory only for tests. Not to mention that on the market are the same couple of IC for a long time so I see no point in spending money on memory which I know how is overclocking only from looking at the general specs.

Back