• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its Official The Memory Situation Is Ridiculous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heh, they are recycling their own news.

Last I read from the same source, a month ago in fact, they were saying 2H 2018 we may see some relief...

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1332449

....derp (@eetimes) 4Q is going to what they said mere weeks ago.. lol

Try as I might, I can't think of a single example of a for profit enterprise that stuck around without making a profit. LOL
Amazon...Twitter...Uber...Zillow...all companies that lost money for several years/continue not to make a profit - and are huge and continues to be invested in. It can EASILY be done by simply reinvesting any profits right back in the business. ;)

Last edited:
reinvesting any profits

There have to be profits for that to be a viable option, right? I'm not saying people have to get rich or go out of business, but literally breaking even or operating at a loss isn't sustainable.

There have to be profits for that to be a viable option, right? I'm not saying people have to get rich or go out of business, but literally breaking even or operating at a loss isn't sustainable.

Finance 101:

- Cash and cashflow is king.
- What drives a company out of business is when they run out of cash.
- You can show a profit, but still be burning cash.
- You can show a loss, but be generating positive cash flow.
- Profit is taxed, cash generation is not.
- Only investors are interested in profit as it increases the "net worth" of the company

Accounting 101:

- Most companies keep 2 sets of books (legally)
- Set #1: uses depreciation tables to show maximum profit for inventors
- Set #2: uses different depreciation tables to minimize the amount of tax paid

If you can run your company at near 0 profit, with positive cash flow, and get your cash out...this is the best. (This assumes you are investing in what you want to invest in).

I'm defining profit as monies above and beyond recouping the cost of doing business. Whatever you call it, where ever you hide it, what ever you tell the IRS. It cost X dollars to keep the doors open, the lights on, the employees paid. If you bring in Y dollars, and Y>X then you're showing a profit. What is done with that profit, or what ever financial gender it identifies as, everything above the cost of doing business is profit. I understand your point, I'm just cutting through all the semantics to the bottom line.

An example would be insurance companies. Their profit largely comes from investments, not insurance. Insurance is how they raise capital. Insurance may not be very profitable, but they're making money regardless.

I get the point, but profit does have a certain meaning, and the confusion we're seeing here is when it gets used inconsistently. I'm not into financial speak either, but wonder if operating margin might have been a better descriptor for this than profit.

My point was solely to say you can have a successful business without profit, have it grow, and not be accumulating debt (post 33). There are plenty of businesses doing so (post 41), HUGE ones, which i linked an article too.

Reinvesting in your business is a part of doing business. ;)

ok so I am not going insane. I was trying to figure out why the ram I was looking at earlier in the year (jan/feb) for $90 was now approaching $220.
any signs yet of slowing down or reversing around tax time?

ok so I am not going insane. I was trying to figure out why the ram I was looking at earlier in the year (jan/feb) for $90 was now approaching $220.
any signs yet of slowing down or reversing around tax time?

New production facilities aren't even scheduled to break ground until next year. They have to build them, produce the RAM, cover the shortage, then produce enough to lower prices. If they want to lower prices.

As for the profit thing, one of my uncles was the CEO here for their expansion in to Asia and Europe https://www.southco.com/en-us/ and another uncle is the founder here, and my cousin is the Executive Chairman. http://www.smedvigcapital.com I have a fair grip on the concept, honest.

i wouldnt count on prices going down anytime soon. prices are supposed to increase another 10% this quarter and are being forcast to remain high through much of 2018. the big three have no reason to ramp up production. they are raking in record sales.

i wouldnt count on prices going down anytime soon. prices are supposed to increase another 10% this quarter and are being forcast to remain high through much of 2018. the big three have no reason to ramp up production. they are raking in record sales.

Do you have any links for the record sales?

yw there is a graph that shows the last 7 years i believe but i cant link to it or just goes to a membership page. statista.com is the website but youll have to google 'dram sales' to find the graph. it breaks it down into individual manufacturers by year. it really shows who the bosses are in dram.

a few tidbits
micron has internally qualified for gddr6 and samsung will shortly(gpu mem).
new samsung 10nm ddr4 3600 8gb ics
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12179/samsung-starts-mass-production-of-8-gb-ddr43600-ics

from anandtech article updated 12/21 -samsung is now producing ddr4 3600 at 10nm with new enhancements. sounds exciting!
Samsung B-die ICs made using 20 nm process technology are still primary ics in enthusiast grade ddr4.
-for some reason samsungs c-die ics arent being used and the new d-die 10nm will likely be gobbled up for gddr6.
Along with the announcement of the new 8 Gb DDR4 DRAM IC, Samsung also said that it would ramp up production of memory (not only DDR4, but also mobile DRAM, etc.) using both of its 10 nm-class fabrication processes to meet “growing demand for DRAM in premium electronic systems worldwide”.
so yeah they are gearing up for the next nvidia release which will consume most or all of the d-die ics. well it sounded good at first lol.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1332760 lol like i said, this all sounds so familiar.

micron rakes it in.
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1332762

interesting bit about xpoint.
Mehrotra said that Micron would talk about 3D Xpoint at an upcoming analyst event, but for now only said it is putting a product development team in place and working with players in the ecosystem.

Handy said Intel is the one company most interested in 3D Xpoint by putting it into SSDs for servers that have its processers. “There's no reason to think yet that it's capable of generating profits for any company who sells it, he said. “Micron is probably going to wait for Intel take all of the losses."

sounds like intel will be the sole provider of xpoint drives until micron decides it will be profitable. then again who knows.

Last edited:
I just bought a sandisk 128GB microsd for $30 on black friday
but anyway I dont see ram prices going to be relieved any time soon, I bought a ram kit pretty recently for twice or so what I paid for the same kit a year and a half ago, and the price has went up since then quite a bit since then
I can't really wait around another year and half for prices to come down, it kinda sucks for anybody upgrading and needs ddr4 ram

Back