• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its Official The Memory Situation Is Ridiculous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a dumb phone, a dumb TV, and a computer. Other than a couple SSDs and 2x8 GB and a graphics card the shortage certainly isn't my fault. :D

Things are going to get worse.

My company manufacturers a lot of printed circuit board assemblies.

Just about every IC, resistor, capacitor, etc. is now on "allocation". What this means is that distributors like Avnet, Digikey, etc. are either really low on inventory or do not have any inventory. The manufacturers of these parts cannot meet current demand.

Jelly Bean parts like 5% or 1% resistors used to be stock items...now many are running 10 week lead time. Heck, I have 1 precision resistor used in a power supply that is running 48 weeks!

Of course, you can pay 2X or 3X the cost to be "allocated" parts sooner.

So - this means we will start to see price increases and/or stock-outs in other PC products (motherboards, etc.)

i thought for a minute that prices were coming down. my kit dropped to $380 for about a month but nope no love, right back up to $430.

im just going to ignore prices until xmas or so.

Things are going to get worse.

Just about every IC, resistor, capacitor, etc. is now on "allocation". What this means is that distributors like Avnet, Digikey, etc. are either really low on inventory or do not have any inventory. The manufacturers of these parts cannot meet current demand.

Jelly Bean parts like 5% or 1% resistors used to be stock items...now many are running 10 week lead time. Heck, I have 1 precision resistor used in a power supply that is running 48 weeks!

Of course, you can pay 2X or 3X the cost to be "allocated" parts sooner.

So - this means we will start to see price increases and/or stock-outs in other PC products (motherboards, etc.)

Is this shortage of jellybean components related to high demand or some sort of collusion? Is this tied to the mining boom?

Your company as in you own it, or somewhere you work? What kinda size? I've considered Digikey as you use them if you need something quick, not cheap. Know what you mean though, to think basic components are not generally available is interesting. Presuming it is across the board, not just variations in particular manufacturers? Or are distributors trying to reduce inventory for whatever reason?

I suspect for bigger manufacturers, they have bigger contracts over longer times so disruption is less likely. My day job, I'm one of many nobody electronic engineers in a nondescript billion dollar scale revenue company, and haven't heard about problems with component availability. I don't go near purchasing personally but if there were problems it'll get out in the mind destroying meetings I'm forced to attend.

I'll admit to some high prices for DDR4 RAM but I have personally seen a 256GB Thumb Drive for less than $60.00. This is a Lexar drive but they price matched it with a PNY drive and bought 1 :)
This is Office Max/Office Depot for the 256GB Drive and they have 128GB Thumb Drives for under $35.00. This may contribute to the shortage :)

I got this for $99.99 two years ago. In fact, this exact kit and an Enthoo Luxe were only $37 more than just the RAM now. So, no breath holding here for "cheap" RAM again. :screwy:

RAM.JPG

At least where I am, flash (particularly in SSD form) is cheaper than ever at the low end. Before SSD pricing went up, I'd target a branded 120GB SSD at £40, and 240GB at £60. They are back to those kind of levels again, and in sales I've seen them as low as £30/£50 respectively.

I wonder how much ram pricing could be placed on crypto. I haven't done in depth calculations yet but to me it still seems profitable. I'd guess part of the so called slowdown is that smaller miners are simply reaching saturation point. There's only so much physical space and power you can handle without more radical expansion. My gut feel is, even with all the dGPUs, the ram consumed by crypto GPUs is insignificant compared to just regular desktop and laptop usage, on the assumption the vast majority of those use iGPU and don't even need vram.

looking forward to upgrading at some point. hoping for 16gb 3400mhz cas 14 soon for $100 or so. come on samsung you can do it.

Back