• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x256+1x512 or 2x512?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

q_hada

Registered
I'm wondering if you gurus can give me some advice...

I have an Abit NF7-S rev2, with 1 stick of 512mb w/ BH-5 chips. I am thinking of upgrading to 1gig, and I have two options right now: I can get 2x256mb of CH5 (BH5 is too expensive right now, and I'm not a really hardcore oc'er anyway... I got my stick when it was a lot cheaper), or 2x512mb of CH5. If I went with the latter, I would sell my BH5.

I'm pretty sure that after selling my BH5, I'd still be spending more on the 2x512 option, by probably $30-40.

So... what would YOU do? :p

any and all input is appreciated!

Radical said:
I would definitely go with 2x512, but why not get TCCD chips instead of CH-5? Here is some good cheap TCCD: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-033&depa=1.

Unfortunately, I'm in Canada... So the only TCCD around that I can get easily is PQI Turbo (only the 2-2-2-5 sticks are tccd,r ight?), whcih costs something like $350CDN (before taxes). I was hoping to spend $100-150 (after selling my BH5, if necessary), so that's out of my price range.

As I said, I don't really need amazing ram - I'm kind of just hoping for 210-220 fsb, 2-2-2-11, <= 2.9v... or are my expectations too high based on what I'm willing to spend?

edit: I can get some samsung E-TCCC for a good price, but I've heard it's not a great idea for NF2

Last edited:
I feel your pain, hard to find decent priced TCCD in Canada.

Right now, OCZ EL is over 350, as is the PQI. Shikatronics PC4000 is TCCD and is around the 340 mark. NCIX might put them on sale so you have some chance of being able to get them cheaper, just have to pay attention to their sales.

Back