• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3090ti now or wait for 4080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any system would be capable of using DirectStorage, I'm just trying to maximize these new features as best as I can without buying into workstation grade hardware. I prefer to have my games and applications stored on drives that are not the OS. Marginal difference in terms of IOPs but it does give me that better position for the little extra gain (same as that FTW3 ;) ). Most x570 motherboards had either 2 M.2s (1 CPU 1 PCH) or had some odd configuration where you did a lot of PCIe lane sharing. Gigabyte offered the best of dedicated PCIe channels. Marginal difference to most people but important enough for me. I nerd hard on trying to figure out how to get the best performance out of a system.

My hope is that the next round of CPUs, AMD will have a x8 off the CPU dedicated to storage. I'll move to that system when it presents itself, and no not Threadripper, that's just too much man.

And no, you're not a **** ED lol. Sometimes its hard for me to correctly portray the point I'm trying to get across. :)

If I had to guess, zen4 will have pci 5.0 x4 (maybe x2) from the cpu and more 4.0 attached to the chipset..... just like you see now with intel z690.

I do the same (OS on one drive, games on another), but for different reasons...I can obliterate my OS at will without having to DL/reinstall them all. ;)

Back