• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parallel LCD w/ pics 56k != cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

I have had this LCD for a very long time and originally had it hooked up but several wires came loose and I trashed the project. Well I am having an ingrown toenail taken out tomorrow so I kind of started the wiring of the Crystalfontz Parallel LCD 2x20 for my recovery time. This is the second time I will be hooking this up so I am hoping I won't fry the thing otherwise I will be very angry but here is some teaser pics.

Well here is my workspace. The computer desk. ROFL!!
lcdworkspace.JPG

Here is the rear of the LCD. But I am linking to this one as it is 1600x1200 and I don't wanna resize it.

BACK OF THE LCD

IMAG0206.JPG

======================

Well after cutting off one of the ends of a printer cable, I am left with this. Oh geeze....

toomanywires.JPG

Now I looked around and saw all these wires. Most of the guides made you go take and buy a db25 connector then solder the wires to the connetor then to the LCD. Well I didn't do that. I stripped all the covering off the cable and was left with this.....

nocolorblind.JPG

Well I came down to destroying the end of the male end of the cable and was hoping not to find what I just found out. They surrounded the end of the male end with a plastic encasing I couldn't get thru. So I had to test each friggin' pin and determine which ping corresponded to what color wire. 30 minutes of my life I just lost........

wiringdiagram.JPG

So this is part 1 of my LCD project. I thought I would report and show some finishing pics with a hopeful working LCD that will be mounting in my floppy bay. :beer:

Nice dude - good luck with that ingrown toenail. My friend just got 2 of those operated on. I used to have one of those LCD's from CrystalFontz but I too screwed it up long ago. I'd like to see the wire color results so I can compare them with a Parallel cable I have here. I don't want to waste 30 min. of my life also!

Keep up the good work!

HardwareHank said:
Nice dude - good luck with that ingrown toenail. My friend just got 2 of those operated on. I used to have one of those LCD's from CrystalFontz but I too screwed it up long ago. I'd like to see the wire color results so I can compare them with a Parallel cable I have here. I don't want to waste 30 min. of my life also!

Keep up the good work!

All printer cable wires are different with their colors but I can take a pic of the wiring guide I had if I have success so you can compare

Couldn't you use the soldering iron to melt/cut the stuborn plastic piece, or is that a primo way to destroy a few tips(can you tell I don't solder?)? :)

i know how you feel man, i had the same ingrown toenail come back 3 times before the doctors decided to use a more permanent solution.

i also have a a parellel lcd i've never quite gotten around to hooking up

ingrown tonails suck...

I had one removed a few months ago. IS that shot really supposed to help numb the pain, because it doesn't. Anyway, needless to say, now I think I have two growing in...yippie.

And for the mod; good luck. It looks like a mess of wire, but I'm sure it will be an awesome little mod when it's done.

Operation was done this morning. But I got a nice little twist for you guys. Most guides offered on the net power these LCD's with internal molex connections. Well I chose something a little different in the form of this.....

usbcable.JPG

======================

USB cables provide +5v on the cable. Makes power them a lot easier to deal with and a little easier to move around to different PCs. :)

very nifty idea:) Just make sure there is enough slack between the USB and the parallel to ajust for computers whose ports are further away than yours.

Yamiyanazz said:
very nifty idea:) Just make sure there is enough slack between the USB and the parallel to ajust for computers whose ports are further away than yours.

They are very close to equal length.

Well poop. My variable resistor had a leg break off now I gotta go get a new one but I can't walk good enough to visit a store. 😠

Back