• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

Okay, heres the deal. Im setting up a computer i wont be able to acess other than over the network.

The biggest problem is theres no way i can get a cable to it, so i threw my wireless card in it.

Windows XP pro sp1a, wireless drivers installed...i need a way to get this computer to stay connected to the wireless no matter what it decides.

There is only one signal here, my router, and theres no WEP encryption.
I will be using a static IP, and the computer will spend allot of time not doing much, ith bursts of file transfers that could last hours or seconds.

i do NOT want to have to haul a monitor into this computer every time it decides it cant stay connected unless i choose to connect to the network. it drives me up a wall doing that on computers that its not a big deal.

any ideas how to do this?

(also, making a network bridge to connect that wireless to the wired would be cool, i have a small wired network segment i would like connected to the rest, but the xp bridge just sucks at life)

just off the subject ur saying, i highly recommend putting WEP on ur network...64bit at least.

i personally dont have the need for WEP, and all it will do is confuse these poor computers more. This laptop acesses as many as 5 differnet networks a day.

And then theres the fact that i live on a dead end road surrounded by retired teachers. There isnt another wireless signal for a mile, other than my girlfriends house...and i put that one there. SHE has wep, because she live on a road with traffic...

it jsut seems useless to me at the moment....ive never liked security much anyway.

anyone? somehow i dont believe that XP can stay connected for an indefinite amount of time.

Well i'm doubt i'll be much help. But i used to find that my PC wouldnt connect occationaly, and i found keeping net-stumbler open iin the backgorund helped.
I think its cos it stops the window wireless xero config service and uses its own script to do the connections.

I have been battleing the same problems also. Try this link to a thread here and then you can also try Googling the problem. There is alot of info out there. I still have problems from time to time but not as much. Hope this helps.

One other thing try what is recommended in message #5 of the thread below... it helps a bit.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=345795

The Duck

well its not so much a problem anymore, it seems to connect, but i havnt left it on for more than 10 hours alone so far...if it decides that the network card needs to be disabled and re enabled to get the connection reset, im going to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in first...because i dont have the time for unreliable computers anymore.

i suppose i should just finish it up and try it out, see how it does for a while before fixing a problem that i dont know that i have...

Back