• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 HTT or FSB ??? Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slyon

Registered
Hi guys!!
I have got little problem here with new A64 cpu, done quite a lot of research, still confused.

1/What is the difference b/t HTT and FSB on A64? on new 939 socket, support up to 2000, and the fsb is 200, so, how do these two related together ? if overclocking A64 3000+, by raising the fsb from 200 to say 250, then what about the HyperTransport speed ? still 1000 x 2 ?

2/this question is somehow related to the first question. I have seen someone said before that by raising the fsb on a64 939, there will be no extra advantages on getting a faster speed on whole system, but only ram and cpu, because of HyperTransport still at 1000 maximum ?
--keep fsb/ram ratio at 1:1 better than having different ratio(say 6:5) with higher fsb on a64 cpu system ???

3/why do we have the multiplier? since the fsb is running at 200mhz, then how does the multiplier related to fsb? i know it's by multiplying them, but what i mean is why do we need it? why not just using 2400 or 1800 straight away? cpu with 200 * 10, which is equal to 2000, does that means the cpu has got 10 dedicated bus with 200 speed on each bus to communicate with different components ? (somehow stupid on this question, but really want to know why)

4/somehow related to question 3. if amd64 fx is totally unlock, why not everyone get it and use the best cooling system and overclock the cpu with highest fsb and highest multiplier? good for future tho since we need not buy any newer cpu since we can just raise the multiplier.. might be something to do with voltage + whether if the core can support it yea ?? hmm,, :bday:

5/if amd64 3000+ winchester core can go up to 2600 is speed, that's about 800mhz increased. so, why not the amd64 3500 do that like 3000+ does ? just wondering why one can increase so high but not the other with higher frequency? if every cpu can easily + 800mhz, then isn't it fx53 can have 3200 easily? :attn: :temper: :D

6/ not every same model cpu having same overclock ablity, is this true? just wondering why is that? say some a64 3000 can easily go up to 2600, but some can't. then why is this since they are just the same in the process of making them, same design, same number of .... etc .. ??? :confused:
i know some of my ques really seem stupid, but i am really confused about them.. please tell me more regarding those and correct me . Thanks for you guys out there!

Please dont take this offensively.. But you should read some of the stickies that are in this forum about a64's and overclocking.. Some nice people in this forum took their time to write them up for us to learn from and they will answer most of you questions.

GL..

THunDA

In A64, the system bus, i.e. the physical bus between the processor and the chipset (SB), is called HyperTransport bus (HT).

HyperTransport bus

The FSB in AXP is no longer the system bus. Some bios settings still uses the term FSB which is also called HTT (HT and HTT are different things). "FSB" and HTT are just an internal signal in the processor to setup CPU frequency, memory bus frequency, Hypertransport bus frequency, ....

This thread discusses the confusion between HTT and HT (hypertransport), their relationship, and clarifies their difference: Is HTT an acronym for Hypertransport bus?

Overclocking setting for various bus frequencies (post 8)

For more details,

Differences between the XP FSB and the A64 buses (separate memory bus and HyperTransport bus) (page 19)

Memory bus, cache and memory bandwidth (for 940, 754, 939)

Estimation and importance of 939 platform memory bandwidth (page 19)

Back