• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual GPU 6600gt card ships soon...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If they can make this cheaper combined with a MOBO then a a single 6800Ultra or X800XT PE, i will deff be moving to Gigabyte instead of buying 2 expensive SLI cards and a mobo

Very interesting. However I never thought that nV would make the first effort of using a dual core.

If I remember correctally SLI can work with as many as 16 GPUs, so technically the next step would be quad GPUs in SLI.

DeepScience said:
two dual core cards in the same system? So each processor deals with 1/4 of the screen?

no.

a dual GPU card, only acts as a single card...non SLI.
yet I have a feeling that even though the card has 256mb, the GPUs will share it.
making it just like a 6600gt 128mb SLI set up.

mica

could you run two of the dual gpu 6600Gts in SLi??
OMG that would be soo cool!

--Edit--
6800gts not 6600gts:D

Last edited:
micamica1217 said:
no.

yet I have a feeling that even though the card has 256mb, the GPUs will share it.

mica

Possibly... But what if each GPU has its own dedicated 128mbs? 128MBs for 4 GPUs (two of these in SLI set-up) is PLENTY because each processor WILL only be rendering only 1/4 of the screen. So you're looking at an equivalency of 256MB per 128MB if you were using only 1 GPU (1 card, wth single GPU - no SLI).

But I have a question, IF each GPU has its own dedicated 128MB chip, and the 128MBs run at like 700-800MHz+, will that also double to make an equivalency of two 256MBs chips running at like 1400 - 1600MHz+ each (in SLI mode, with two of these babies)?

Dont worry... I even confused myself. :eh?:

Swatdog said:
Possibly... But what if each GPU has its own dedicated 128mbs? 128MBs for 4 GPUs (two of these in SLI set-up) is PLENTY because each processor WILL only be rendering only 1/4 of the screen. So you're looking at an equivalency of 256MB per 128MB if you were using only 1 GPU (1 card, wth single GPU - no SLI).

ah, no.
it doesn't work that way.

you see, since each GPU "SHOULD" need it's own memory to work in conjuction...a dual core 256mb card is just like TWO 128mb cards.
running in SLI with two of the new 6800gt dual core cards, will still only alow a max of 128mb of texture/shader information storage (for each chip).

rendering half the image, doesn't mean you only need to fetch half the textures.

mica

micamica1217 said:
no.

mica

That's not what the article says.
The 3D1's two processors communicate through Nvidia's SLI interface

Through the interface, not on board the card. Which implies that if you used two cards with four processors the SLI system would, apparently, have to portion out a quarter of the screen to each processor.

And Swatdog... urrr... you're making my brain hurt

So if they can do a dual core 6600GT card, how long until they do dual core 6800GT cards. Then of course they'll figure out the "quad" arrangement, so don't cancel your pre-order on your SLI mobo just yet. ;)

micamica1217 said:
no.

mica

I don't believe this will be the case. Each processor will share the 256MB memory. This makes the work much more efficient then each having to load the same information into the memory it uses to split the workload. This is what Intel has been strugiling with in their dual core setups but IBM with their Risc series and Sun Microsystems have been doing it for years in their multi-core setups.

Geez it took them long enough! I knew it was only a matter of time before someone capitalized on Voodoo's past success with multiple GPU's.

You guys think this card is potent? Wait until someone unleashes hell's fury with a dual GPU 6800 Ultra. Something like that could drive ATI into the ground permanently or at least force them to engineer a dual GPU card of their own to stay competitive. Either way, we win.

Do you think that this is how nVidia plans to do to compete with the r520?

could be one way
my question is, why do you need an sli capable mobo if the vid card is a single card (that has a sli chipset on it):confused:

since this card does 14.2k stock
im betting it can break the 15k margin w/an OC
does this mean 3dmark0__ :p

btw, did anyone notice that this badboy only uses 1 molex connector :sn:
dual6600gt28bi.jpg

Last edited:
i want them to sell the card without the mobo. Becuase maybe i dont want a new mobo?
if that thing oc's like a regular 6600gt- then it will easily break 16k in 03

Back