• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual GPU 6600gt card ships soon...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This will be amazing when it gets out to us. On the other hand, I believe it will be in the $500-$600 range. Way out of my budget.

Also, I doubt this will be SLI capable until a later revision. If the card is already using the SLI interface for the two GPUs on the card, how would you connect another card? Best way to think of this card is a 1 board SLI setup. Instead of buying two cards and a dual slot motherboard, all you do is buy a single card.

Daishiknyte

That orange HS looks like it's made out of plastic. Any ways I hope they hit the market soon, maybe the 6800 ultras won't be so ungodly expensive once these come out.

let me see if I can clarify some of my replys as they might have been a little unclear....

DeepScience said:
Through the interface, not on board the card. Which implies that if you used two cards with four processors the SLI system would, apparently, have to portion out a quarter of the screen to each processor.

basicly, I agree with you.
yet as it stands right now, SLI isn't always doing a 50% portion for each GPU.
there is also other options then just split frame SLI.
Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR), is also a posability and a reality for many games.
and although everything we say on quad SLI is speculation...
I'm sure nVidia or gigabyte would try to use a driver that alows 4 GPUs to render 4 full frames in AFR....if the game allows this.

JeffP said:
I don't believe this will be the case. Each processor will share the 256MB memory. This makes the work much more efficient then each having to load the same information into the memory it uses to split the workload. This is what Intel has been strugiling with in their dual core setups but IBM with their Risc series and Sun Microsystems have been doing it for years in their multi-core setups.

the major problem with your theory is that nVidia didn't paper launch this product....
gigabyte did.
since the card is basicly a SLI solution in a single card...
and all info points that way...
I don't see gigabyte utilising a technoligy that not even nVidia provided.
the research needed and the time nessasary for such a working idea would mean that this card would take forever to come to market...
if gigabyte did it on it's own.

in other words, everything looks like each GPU will utilise it's own set of memory.
this is how SLI works for two seporate cards, and I don't see this changing for this "all in one" card.

yet we all could be wrong. lol

mica

JeffP said:
I don't believe this will be the case. Each processor will share the 256MB memory. This makes the work much more efficient then each having to load the same information into the memory it uses to split the workload. This is what Intel has been strugiling with in their dual core setups but IBM with their Risc series and Sun Microsystems have been doing it for years in their multi-core setups.

Gigabyte is simply using Quantum3d's scaling architecture. I own a Dual Voodoo2 SLI board from Quantum3D which features two 3DFX voodoo2s on one board. this a 24MB Voodoo2 board folks. This board also has the connection that allows two of this boards in SLI for a total of four Voodoo2s with a total of 48MB of video memory. This board has a bios onboard that selects between 4-way or 2-way screen rendering whether the 2nd board is present of not!

Maybe Gigabytes retail boards will also have this option and allow for two of these cards to be parrelled together for a total of 4 6600GT GPUs and a whopping 512MB of memory.

Like Quantum's design, this design also allows both GPUs to effectively share the supplied 256MB of video memory. Essentially, your looking at the performance of a GeForce6 6800 Ultra PE running its GPU at 500MHz and core memory at 1GHz to give the performance of this Gigabyte card.

If you look carefully, you'll notice how they mention 256-bit memory onboard which means each card runs fluid with approx 16GB/s of memory bandwidth each.

If you were to scale dual 6800 GT GPUs using Quantum technology then you'd be having to look for 512-bit memory to scale the GPUs nicely and to deliver the 64GB/s that dual 6800GTs would require to scale like two would in PCI Express SLI.

In the future when 512-bit memory becomes available, we can expect companys to do just this and deliver 6800gts on one board.

PICTURE BELOW IS ME HOLDING A QUANTUM3D Twin VOODOO2 board..

OC-Master

Attachments

• quantum3D voodoo2(2ononeboard).jpg
    quantum3D voodoo2(2ononeboard).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 267
I belive this stuff has been around for ages and they held it as a wildcard, everything that they put out was probebly "invented" at least a year ago. Its just smart marketing, nothing else.
The Voodoo2 is the proof that this stuff is age old tech.

Duuh, its just like the first Gameboy. If they wanted they could have added color and all that stuff on it.

Like the Gameboy Advance didnt have a light in it, do you think they couldnt do that @ the time no. They want to make money on it first then make a smaller Advance with a light and say its revolutionary. People will buy it and they make more money. They do this on Purpose. If they just made something so fast and with everything possible on it then thier would be no need to upgrade in 6 months.

AGP and PCIE are two different things. Its impossible to fit an AGP card into a PCI-Express slot or visa versa due to size.

AGP = 8x, PCI-E = 16x.

Cant suck 16x worth of data through an 8x tube, thats like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. :)

OC-Master,

I like your thoughts on this matter.
yet there are a few things that bother me on them....

first, the THG artical states nothing about using any kind of voodoo based technoligy.
yes, it does state the use of 256bit DDR3 chips, yet nothing about it's true mem bandwith.
in fact, when stating it's performance it says it's still not twice the speed of a single chip card....sounds like the same performance boost you get with standard SLI to me.

while your guess on how the memory could work with both chips using it...
remember that nVidia's SLI works drasticly differant then 3Dfx's.

realy, I'm not saying that it couldn't work like you say...
it's just that it would have been in the artical if it was known to them.

anyway, I'm sure it's far too early to know anything about this new card.
it might not even fully work yet. lol

mica

Even funnier, we don't care about the dual core card, the first thing we start talking about is if we can use DUAL DUAL CORE CARDS!!!! :D

DeepScience said:
Even funnier, we don't care about the dual core card, the first thing we start talking about is if we can use DUAL DUAL CORE CARDS!!!! :D

I think its safe to say hell yeah! :)

Makes me wanna see a picture of that Voodoo5 6000 card again lol

cough

cough..
v5-6k3.jpg

OC-Master

I think they will open the 6600 cards with 256b memory. Every site thus far has said the 128b is holding the 6600 back and that will be the 6600U. I think the 256b mem is letting the 6600 cores show their true speed. Also I do believe NV has something else in store to combat the x850.

Back