• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Case Modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bloody Mijinion

Registered
Alright, well, i have a crappy beige no name brand computer, and i'm thinking of modding it. There are a couple of dings in it, and they don't look like they can be popped out, would it be a good idea to use Bondo on it to fill it in then start on the mirror finish paint job (located in another thread)? The front of the case is plastic, and i don't think that would look good painted, so i was wondering if it would also be a good idea to use a foux metal cover (like vinyl or similar) for the front part (problem is is that it is curved and has a grill that isnt straight (curves with the face)). Also, the fan in the front is offset, so i was wonder if i should cut out the peice of metal holding the fan and speaker in place and replace it with a new peice of metal with the fan in the center. Anyways, i'll post pics of the thing how it is and give you my ideas on it, and maybe get some ideas from you guys.

here are some pictures, the first is of the front, the second is when you pop the front bezel off, i was thinking of using wires to make an industrial look behind the grill and also add lights so it glows through the grill (maybe a red or other color while i get a Blue LED fan) and the last is the side, where i would add a window with the same wires to bring the theme from the front to the side.

the pictures are small, so if you need me to point out anything, ask. (the ding is on the side, in the upper right corner of it)

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 195
  • underFront.jpg
    underFront.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 157
I think the fan placement is ok, but it could use a little morehole for intake so I would chop up the front a little. The plastic front is also fairly easy to paint, and I wouldnt be afraid to do so.

As far as the dents, I dont know about bondo but I just dont think it would work out well for your mirror finish. IMO, your best option would be to bang it out as best as possible and just leave the imperfection. It adds character ;) You could always put a case badge over it or something.

I would consider putting in a side panel window or at least a side panel intake fan.

Bondo would work fine just may sure it is very smooth. and use primer and primer sealer on it. 3 or 4 coats of paint with sanding in between and your will not even to be able to tell it is there

Are there UV-reactive spray paint? Because i just read the thread about painting drive bays and baking them. Might be better than using cold cathode lights to get a blue glow if i just pain the whole inside with reactive pain and use a black light.

jkbanman said:
Bondo would work fine just may sure it is very smooth. and use primer and primer sealer on it. 3 or 4 coats of paint with sanding in between and your will not even to be able to tell it is there

If thats the case, should i just take off all the paint on the side pannels and then clean it, do the bondo then primer, primer sealer then the painting? because if i just did the area where the dent is with the primer, it might not be even with the rest of the side.

K, i'm going to buy a 17 dollar beige case that i can mod while still using the computer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-164-039&depa=1

it's a cheap case, good for modding, and the side has a recessed area perfect for cutting out a window. I could take out the front USB, patch over it so it's nice and smoothe, move up the power and HD LED and cut out an area for either 4 (maybe, would have to move alot of things) 80 mm fans or one 120 mm fan. I can move the lower drive bays and relocate them down and back behind the front fans, giving more room and cooling but keeping the floppy drive where it is. Then on the top put handles (like a suitcase, so i can cary it easily) reinforce those, add a blow hole and a hole on the window over the CPU.

As for the airflow, i was thinking front blows in, Window fan blows directly onto the CPU, back fan blows in, and the blow hole blows out. Ducting on the PSU fan and blow hole to keep it from sucking back in. And for the window fan, was thinking of getting a Vantec Tornado ^_^. Would like to know if this would be a good setup (sorry if this shouldnt be in case mod thread)

You should be able to fill in the dings with bondo and make it look real nice after painting. Just be sure to sand it good and prime. Heres a pic below of a shroud I made out of bondo it was primed with some "plastic primer" from home depot and painted with krylon fusion.

The holes were not meant to be cut with precision btw.
dsc009582xz.jpg

i have to say im loving the handle on the top of it!

why dont you cut a windows and then try spraying the whole case with that high heat paint and baking it like in the baking thred? you could have it a nice powdercoat finish, then put some UV green and orange bits inside.

Back