• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions about xeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rpkole

ok i was looking around on ebay and was wanting to know what is the best steping to OC with. i found these but am not sure if they are any good click_here
i have read about the 1.6Ghz being able to OC into the 3.0 range and was wornding if these were the right kind.

I wish i knew more about intel but i am kind a amd fan :-/ and i am trying to get into intel and give it a try

from what I remember it was the ultra low voltage variant that were seeing the crazy oc's. even than I heard that 3.0 wasn't garn., the 2.4 ghz range was what was average. I'm on the 2.4's at 3.6(although currently havin issues, hafta give them a cooling mod to keep temps down)

The original hot 1.6 GHz Xeons were SL6GV
They were usually good for at least 2.4 GHz without more Vcore
I don't know anybody who was able to hit 200 FSB on 1.3V with these

The pair in the ebay auction are SL6XK, I've got one set of these running.
Mine are able to go to 13x210 (2.7 GHz) without more Vcore.
I got 2 more sets on Friday, but haven't had time to try them yet.
I hope these will also do 200+ FSB on 1.3v

I just setup my SL6XK 1.6 LV D1 Xeons in a refurbed Asus PC-DL and they're running at 3.2 GHz. I've gotten them to run some benches at 3.4 GHz, but they're not stable there. I can't say 3.2 GHz is rock stable either, but it's been running for a full day without crashing.

I did the Vcore mod (U-wire B2-B3, U-wire D2-D3, lop off C3) to get to 1.57V and then did the MooseMod jumper trick to boot at 200 MHz. It boots at 16x200 MHz so no need to back down the multiplier but I did to get the FSB up a bit. I'll be doing the conductive grease VDIMM mod (can't believe I forgot to do that when I had the PC-DL out of the case for the socket mods) to try and get my cheapo Mushkin PC3200 up a little higher.

Yeah, it's pretty simple. A picture of my conductive grease and Pomona Grabber VDIMM mods are shown here. The site is down as I type this but it should be back up soon.

dont these lower end xeons usually have 256kb of l2 cache? doesnt that give a big hit on performance..... vs the 512 ones..

Mr.Guvernment said:
dont these lower end xeons usually have 256kb of l2 cache? doesnt that give a big hit on performance..... vs the 512 ones..
The Foster cores have 256K of L2. Fosters go up to 2.0 GHz
Stay away from the Fosters they only work on the older i860 motherboards
The 512K Prestonias start at 1.6 GHz

nice - all this talk of getting xeons @ 2.4+ with a 1.6 is tempting me to want a duallie now,,, but i dont know what to use it for iof i were to get one!

Back