• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia 6600 GT Overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

What is the best program to use to overclock the 6600 GT card. Also has there been a bios hack for this card to make the memory 256 bit instead of 128 bit since I read that the memory is just holded back to 128 bit but it is really 256 bit. Anyways, I have an XFX 6600 GT and just wanted to overclock it a little. Should I also raise my AGP voltage to 1.6 or 1.7 for the overlock or this card doesn't really need that much power. The reason I am asking all this is cause I had an ATI 9800 before and have rescently switched to this Nvidia card.

dja2k

I wouldn't screw with the AGP voltage. It's flirting with danger for no reason; the 6600GT AGP gets most of its juice from the molex you plug into it off of your power supply, so the voltage on the AGP bus won't really give you much more overhead.

The best program thus far is the one that comes with it. nVidia released this card with the understanding that it WOULD be overclocked. If you want a decent OC, just use the proprietary OC utility and use the "recommended" setting...that's how I got my OC, and it ain't shabby. If you plan to OC above that, add some AS5 between your heatsink and GPU: highest I've seen thus far in that configuration is around 625mhz/1.25ghz with minor artefacts, 615/1.19 stable.

I haven't seen any reliable BIOS hacks yet for the memory. I think it's a pipeline count limitation, but if you find out otherwise let us know.

Make sure your case has a side fan before you OC it above recommended OC settings. The XFX already comes faster than the other GT's, and you don't want to generate too much heat so close to the center of the mobo unless you've got something directly expelling the heat nearby.

I bought a vantec spectrum pci slot fan, the one that has two fans and blue led's, but do you recommend putting it right under the video card (next pci after apg) which is right under and hitting the giant heatsink, or skip one pci and let the heatsink have some breathing room?

dja2k

Just download coolbits install it and then go to your Video cards setting and you will see Clock Frequencies and then change from 2d to 3d and then you can OC the card. As far as the Vantec fan all it can do is help. I would not mess with the Voltage because all you are going to do is burn your card up.

a 128bit memory i would think would be built into the memory chips and not something you can change.....

Thanks guys,

There is an article that I read that said the memroy chips on this video card are 256 bit and underclocked to 128 bit. I am looking forward to a hacked bios relaseing the 256 bit memory frequency.

dja2k

What is the idle temp that the probe on the 6600GT should read without any load. Mine reads between 57 - 60 C. Is that normal?

dja2k

dja2k said:
What is the idle temp that the probe on the 6600GT should read without any load. Mine reads between 57 - 60 C. Is that normal?

dja2k

That's extremely high for idle. Mine reaches that at load. I'd double check the heat paste to make sure it's on there well.

dja2k said:
Thanks guys,

There is an article that I read that said the memroy chips on this video card are 256 bit and underclocked to 128 bit. I am looking forward to a hacked bios relaseing the 256 bit memory frequency.

dja2k

"128bit" has to do with the memory interface, not the memory itself, and the traces on the board.

^^ had thought so, so it would not be possibly then to unloack an additional 128bits unless you know some serious electrical soldering and layouts..

Would my idle temp being so high be due to the fact that the stock thermal paste hasn't settled in right cause I haven't really played games for a long period of time. Anyways, lets say the temp reading is right, how can I tell if this thing is overheating when playing games for a long period of time.

dja2k

Sig details are shrot now as you wished. Anyways, back to the may point on this Thread. My XFX card dooes not look like any I have seen like the one here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-080&depa=0 , which is the one I ordered. The diffrence is mine doesn't look like that, mine seems to be all silver metal in the heatsink and doesn't have that XFX logo monster and for some reason my fan on the heatsink looks smaller to me. Maybe that is why my idle temp is higher and after load in games, it doesn't go beyond 65'C.

dja2k

Well if this helps, case temps are 32'C reported on Motherboard Monitor and 25'C on Case Temperature Front Panel Probe. Now if that aint the problem, what do you think is heating my Video Card up that much? Any suggestions? What if there are no explainations for the heatup, wouldn't the card still perform good since the threshold is 145'C?

dja2k

Also is this card suppose to read out the ambient tempature in the Nvidia Temp panel cause my xfx 6600 GT doesn't, it shows 0'C

dja2k

Yes it did come with a disk and your point is? I said Ambient Tempature is reading 0'C not GPU Core Tempature.

dja2k

Back