• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need router advice?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiffler69

okay i got a dlink di-604 but its horrible it keeps crashing on me cause of some packet overflow or whatever, the port forwarding doesnt quite work. sucks when refreshing in game servers since it crashes. so i was wondering whats a good router to buy? cheap like 50$ CDN or so. please give me advice since im gonna go return this dlink one tmr.

smoothwall? whats are we talking about i just need a router that does its job, thats cheap and doesnt crash on me every 10min.

I have a DI-604 and it seems to work great. I don't know what your problem is.

smoothwall is a computer with a few NIC cards thats basically a big, loud, and super-awesome router. old computer, is job is to ...well, be a router.

Ive never had any problems with the cheapo d-links, im actualy kind of impressed with some of the features. (every time i go to my girlfridns house, the router recognises my laptop's MAC and assigns it the same IP...i wish my linksys would do that!)

I would first check to see if there is a firmware update for your router. Sometimes they don't catch these problems until after, and issue a fimware update to fix it. So do that first...

If there is no update or that doesn't help, I've found Netgear router to be extremely reliable, and they can always be found on sale at BB, Circuit City, and especially Staples or Office Max.

Go with a smoothwall :D
I did, it (SW) replaced my Linksys router

Router is in the corner and SW is great, if I screw-up Sw with one of their MODS than I will switch back to Linksys --Until I fix my Smoothwall :clap:

What is also great is that if you screw up a mod, in about twenty minutes you can completely rewrite it and install the current updates to get it back up to premodded version.

Provided you backed up your settings, you can then reinstall the mods and go back to your last safe backup.

Back