• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can i accomplish this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twump

i just moved from my mothers house where i have a fileserver with win2k server. its on a dsl connection behind a router.

I moved into a house with another dsl connection.

I would like to be able to run terminal services from my new house on the server at my moms.

i thought i had to setup a vpn but the article i read on ms.com makes it seem more like a way to dial into the server with a modem which is not what i'm looking for.

can anyone point me in the right direction so i can access my fileserver again :)

thanks

RDP Protocol, Remote Desktop Protocol (Terminal Server), is 3389, If you dont want to do VPN you can just make the changes in that link and forward 3389 rather than the rest, then with the terminal server client software just put in the public IP address of place where the server resides and you got remote desktop.

However, transfering files will be more than annoying to setup using terminal services, so if thats what you intend to do you need to go the VPN route. Also remember that with DSL IP addresses can change, though not really often they still do, so thats one thing to keep in mind if suddenly your connection stops working.

Back