• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question? Does RAM have any influence on how fast a work unit is completed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steveo989

Not officially involved with AAR
In a hope to add more ppd I added some of my old ram so I am at 768mb of pc 133ram on a 800mhz. I was wondering if it completes it faster because it can download the work Unit in head of time. Just theories remember I am new to F@H only one WU completed so far. :D

Last edited:
no, when you download WU it does not store it in your ram, it goes to your harddrive.

Folding seems to like faster FSB speeds.

the the folding cores used to do the processing only work one one unit at a time, and the data gets written to the hard drive as it gets done. Your best bet for more ppd is just more MHz. Thanks for folding with us!!! ::attn:

I can only see RAM contributing in one way, if you have a gig of RAM (512 works for a dedicated folder) you could enable big packets (as far as I know they aren't being distributed anymore) and because they take up more resources and RAM you would get more PPD

More ram will only make a difference if the computer was swapping to virtual memory before its addition. Even then, more ram will only cut a few seconds off each frame. Bigpackets works fine in 512MB with a single instance folding. On a P4 with 512MB and two instances folding, you will see a degredation in performance if both instances are bigpackets.

Tal,
There are currently large numbers of big packets available to those with the -advmethods flag set and bigpackets=yes in the client.cfg file.
They are:
p1134_RIBO_FSpeptide_EXT
p1135_RIBO_FSpeptide_HEL p1134
p1140_RIBO_FSpeptide_EXT_nospring
p1141_RIBO_FSpeptide_HEL_nospring
All are worth 600 pts.

OOOOOOOOOoooooooo I am downloading the dos so I can get big packets enabled yeah! 600 points UMMMMM(homers Voice)

A dedicated folding rig can currently run bigpackets (those that use most memory and harddrive space) if you have 256Mb ram, over that, it dosent make a diff...

Best of luck.
B!

Back