• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE permissions problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Hi all:

I'm running XP Pro SP2a. I have this strange problem with IE. IE won't let me change the internet options from the IE Task bar. It spits out this error message (pic). But I am logged in as root.No other users are configured. Strangely, I can change internet options through the control panel.

Why does this happen? I ran spybot, NAV and found nothing.

BTW I mostly use Firefox :)

Attachments

• I.E.JPG
    I.E.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 48
SP2a still has some bugs within it, it could be that it set up the restrictions in IE and didn't allow you access. As long as you can change it in the control panel it should not be a problem. If you do want to be able to change it from IE on the fly, you may need to uninstall SP2a, do the tweaks and then reinstall it. It should either remain the same as before or at least allow you access to change them.

My only concern here was malware. I was afraid that my computer had been infected by spyware/malware and this caused the described problem.

The only time I use IE is when doing a Windows update :)

So, all you guys think its just an SP2a problem and not a spyware issue?

Super Nade said:
So, all you guys think its just an SP2a problem and not a spyware issue?

Not so sure that your problem is related to SP2, as I had the exact same thing going on with my system. Strangely, it went away with the upgrade to SP2??!! Go figure. :clap:

elec.tron

It went away with SP2? That's weird, most bugs and issues come up when you upgrade to that service pack. Anyway, yeah it is not malware or any type of spyware, its just MS being a byotch.

There were many resident bugs and issues before SP2, or it would not have been necessary.

SP2 isn't that bad if you know how to deploy it IMO. I mean, many people are found complaining about it, but you will find that their machine is not defragmented, they have P2P software installed, and they have malware running wild... This reflects a lot about their maintenance of the machine, and it just isn't surprising for me to hear that they are having issues "with SP2". ;)

Last edited:
IMOG:
In my case I don't use P2P software, defragment every week and I don't install anything in my OS partition. I have had absolutely no problems with SP2 except for this silly error.
I check for virus def/XP/Office updates every two days. Also, I removed outlook, games and other useless stuff from my install.

Back