• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slowness and timeouts when loading web-pages only with Chrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

So I have a fresh install of Windows 10(2-3 weeks old now). I noticed that web-pages are often slow to load or sometimes even timeout within Chrome. I'm 100% sure this is not my internet. Other machines in the house don't have this issue and I have a duel boot on this computer running Windows 7 and doesn't have this problem in Chrome on that image. It seems to happen randomly.. not more or less on one specific website. I would guess that this happens 1/20 of any site I go to.

Again this is a new image of Windows 10 so Google Chrome is only a few weeks old... This started happening in Chrome right from the start once I installed it. For the times Chrome is timing out, I can still ping any site it's trying to reach and I can always switch to IE and IE doesn't have this problem. I have uninstalled/reinstalled chrome and cleared all saved browsing data/settings. I've tried switching to googles DNS server, no change. One thing that I found interesting is that if a page in Chrome is sitting trying to load.... if I open up IE while this is happening... Chrome seems to load almost right away... So some weird DNS issue but only with Chrome? I find this very strange. If anyone has advise, please let me know.. Its very annoying.

Last edited:
I'd kick chrome to the curb and simply use something else. I use waterfox, palemoon, basilisk mostly atm.

My advice is to advise you to confirm the system date is correct. Chrome doesn't like to work if the system date is off.

habbajabba,
Maybe... typically I've never minded using Chrome... more want to find this weird problem I'm having then to just fully ditch Chrome.

EarthDog,
That is a good point but my system time is correct. I remember it was off when I first installed Windows 10 but noticed and fixed it right away.

habbajabba,
Maybe... typically I've never minded using Chrome... more want to find this weird problem I'm having then to just fully ditch Chrome.

EarthDog,
That is a good point but my system time is correct. I remember it was off when I first installed Windows 10 but noticed and fixed it right away.

Have you tried resetting Chrome back to it's defaults, and try adding your extensions back 1 by 1 to see if any of them are causing problems?

You can also try deleting your Chrome profile, while it is closed. This PC -> C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome, and then relaunching it. You will of course loose bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.

uninstall, reinstall generally fixes little nuances in chrome ive encountered in the past.

mimart7 and wagex,

I tried reinstalling chrome for the 3rd time. uninstalling chrome, then clearing files listed under C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\

rebooted machine just in case.

downloaded chrome and reinstalled yet the problem still exist.

Running out of ideas.. may come down to making sure everything is backed up and reinstalling my OS from scratch... really don't want it to come to that.

Check if the "data saver" setting isn't enabled in settings, as it acts as a VPN (all traffic goes through Google servers) it sometimes causes problems.

Check if the "data saver" setting isn't enabled in settings, as it acts as a VPN (all traffic goes through Google servers) it sometimes causes problems.

I don't see that as an option in chrome... I think that is an option on android devices but for Windows machines.. I think that is a chrome extension, which I have none of currently.

Here is a video to prove I'm not crazy... In the video I let the sites timeout before I opened IE, but typically if I open IE before the sites in chrome timeout... they will load immediately

Like I said. Chrome is not so special you can't run something else until a few updates perhaps solve it. Softwares can get glitchy on anyone's system. If it don't work right there are alternatives. Not a big deal. Life is too short to worry about Chrome. Besides, it's probably just MS and Google fighting over your data lol, considering the fact that the latest versioning of chrome wants to log you into any of your existing google acct's. the moment you open it up.

mimart7 and wagex,

I tried reinstalling chrome for the 3rd time. uninstalling chrome, then clearing files listed under C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\

rebooted machine just in case.

downloaded chrome and reinstalled yet the problem still exist.

Running out of ideas.. may come down to making sure everything is backed up and reinstalling my OS from scratch... really don't want it to come to that.

It's either a plugin or the version of Chrome that you are running. You can try disabling all your plugins and then enabling them 1 by 1.

So I made sure I had no plugins enabled. So maybe its just the Chrome version... I heard positive things about the recent firefox version. Giving that a go. Maybe I'll reinstall Chrome after a few updates pass sometime in the future...

Thanks for the advise folks.

Back