• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 939 NF4 mobo is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

<<Spider>>

Actually this is a 2 part question. First, which 939 chip is best? 939 Winchester is 90nm and Newcastles are 130nm. Winchester runs cooler so I'm sure to go with the Winchester, however, I need to know which is Winchester is better for overclocking. 3000 or 3200, etc. It seems the 3000 is best bang for buck but I have no experience with the Winchester and need some sugestions.

Now that the new NF4s are out, I think it's time for me to jump to the athlon 64. 2nd question, which NF4 mobo?

I don't care too much about the SLI option (2 video card) but want the SATA2 (3 Gb/sec) so I'm thinking about the NF4 Ultra. The SLI mobos are over $250 when the Ultra is only around $130. The only NF4 Ultra mobo that I know of is the Chaintech one. Is there any other one? DFI is coming out with a NF4 mobo but I believe that is a SLI so I'm sure that one will be over $250. Any sugestions?

The only board I know of is the chaintech as well, but it doesnt seem like a bad one. As for cpu's, unless you are going for the ubermax overclock, just buy to your budget and spend the rest on a good video card.

i'd wait for the DFI board, should be out later this month
BTW SLI boards can be had for about 220$ right now

Hi, I second the "DFI" option coz thats what I am waiting for and please note MODERATORS there should be a dedicated Sticky for DFI and 939 overclocking!!!!!!!!

The DFI is to be released in 5 options - dont quote me!!
And the Winchester 3200 is "the BEST" Overclocking AMD cpu arround and I have seen cpu-z scores with AIR 2.6+, Water 2.75 & Extreme cooling 3.3+G with high HTT's to boot LOL

Regards

To be short and to the point, there really isnt much differnece. Now that AMD has the memory controlelr on die mobo are becoming alot like Intel is. Its all a matter of brand prefernce

DarkForce said:
please note MODERATORS there should be a dedicated Sticky for DFI and 939 overclocking!!!!!!!!

The DFI is to be released in 5 options - dont quote me!!
And the Winchester 3200 is "the BEST" Overclocking AMD cpu arround and I have seen cpu-z scores with AIR 2.6+, Water 2.75 & Extreme cooling 3.3+G with high HTT's to boot LOL

Regards
First off, some of us do not like DFI, namely myself. I swore myself back in the days of my NF7 that I would never buy *ANYTHING* from DFI. They have a lack-luster quality control and are all glitz and glam....not my style

3200+ are indeed good cpuz, but the HTT has nothign to do with the CPU, that is all chipset dependant. NF4 has notibly higher HTT ocs because you can control the chipset voltage via BIOS.

Finally, not all Winchester can do 2.6, mine for example cannot. Granted its one of the first batches, the point remains the same

-Sen

DFI? Maybe they had issues, but their new stuff is another story. ie NF3 Lanparty UT, it is easily the best mobo I have ever owned.

And I'll be first in line to buy their NF4 PCI-E board.

I have to take issue with the statement that DFI is "all glitz and glam". Thats flat out untrue.

If highly configurable and well supported motherboards are trendy then I guess I just have to go with the crowd.

Sentential said:
Point is dont exclude other manufacturers such as Abit Gigabyte and Asus simply because DFI is "trendy"

Need help? try www.dfi-street.com/forum

Many a many people there from OCforums, XS, and others.

A_G and Rgone are great helps, and don't shoot you down when you have a question about overclocking, like asus does. :-/

They aren;t for the set-it-and forget-it type people, enthusiasts like us that want to get the max out of everything.

Their QC is greatly improving aswell. They learned form their NFII mistake, and are doing a good job at fixing even the NFII problems. :)

Sentential said:
Point is dont exclude other manufacturers such as Abit Gigabyte and Asus simply because DFI is "trendy"

LOL, actually that was my point to you. I'm not excluding any Company. I simply wan't the best I can get and right now that is DFI, at least for S754. But if any other board maker comes along with something better, then I'll grab it, thats a no-brainer. It just sounded like you were excluding them based on a feeling, not on their performance.

I hope DFI continues the trend with S939, and based on the few preliminary tests I have seen, the 939 stuff will not dissapoint.

i recommended the DFI board for its OCing features, mainly its high voltages. as of now, all the nf4 boards are lacking in the voltage department, vCore and vDimm are severely capped, limiting the OC

Sentential said:
First off, some of us do not like DFI, namely myself. I swore myself back in the days of my NF7 that I would never buy *ANYTHING* from DFI. They have a lack-luster quality control and are all glitz and glam....not my style

No offense, but unless you've actually owned or dealt with a DFI, it's hard to make such a conjecture. Believe it or not, DFI boards are of some of the highest quality, and their features are not "glitz and glam." Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing superficial about a 3.3 vdimm option for a chipset where most other boards only offer about 2.9 (NF2 specifically). And its NF3 variant is currently THE best s754/K8 overclocking board out there, with robust bios features and a plethora of support. On top of that, dippy was very correct in noting that Angry Games and RGone, two DFI employees themselves, are very helpful and committed in resolved any and all issues one might have with their boards. And DFI-Street has grown to become not only a safe haven for the extreme enthusiast, but a community of members equally committed to promoting the quality and overclockability of their motherboards. Besides, the NF7-S took quite a while to mature itself, and was already several years old before the DFI even hit the market. So it's pretty unfair to compare the early problems of the LP B/UI lineup to that of a 2-year old motherboard. Let's compare apples to apples, please. Anyhow, I think this earlier post by myself sums it up:

deception`` said:
This is strictly an NF2 issue, and was related to the overall chipset and not necessarily the board itself. Hence, it has been recommended that a bios savior be used across any NF2 board, including the infamous NF7-S. Anyway, the bios corruption of the LP B and UI is now virtually non-existent thanks to Oskar's bios updates and the plethora of modded solutions for the DFI enthusiast. So take it from someone who currently runs 3 DFI boards, and has owned every single board from the UI to the s754 UT.

deception``

I had nothing against Chaintech until I build a friend's VNF3-250. It's the just problems after problems, I had told him to go with the DFI but he wanted to save a little money. The DFI was only $20 more I think it would have been a better choice because he would not have to spend the $$ to RMA it. But with the NF4, the difference is would be much more than $20 if I'm to go with the SLI mobo. I just need an NF4 Ultra. Maybe I'll wait until some more mobos to come out. I'm kinda scared to go with the chaintech. The VNF4 Ultra has the same poor heatsink on the chipset just like the VNF3-250. From bios problems to chipset overheating, I just don't think Chaintech is a good idea. I think Epox has already release their NF4 Ultra. The Chipset cooler looks so much better than Chaintech's but I don't know too much about Epox. http://www.epox.com/USA/showimage.asp?ID=EP-9NPAplus

Anyone used Epox?

Gigabyte has a NF4 Ultra but it's only socket 754 chipset.

bobmanfoo said:
i'd wait for the DFI board, should be out later this month
BTW SLI boards can be had for about 220$ right now

Can you point out where you have seen an SLI board for $220 please?

CK

<<Spider>> said:
I had nothing against Chaintech until I build a friend's VNF3-250. It's the just problems after problems, I had told him to go with the DFI but he wanted to save a little money.
Hmm my vnf3 is rocking solid..2.45ghz on air prime 24 stable and can hit 2.55 without problem but prime not stable..you can't get more than that for a $72 bux mobo :p btw the DFI costs about 30-$50 more. the only problem I have for the vnf3 is prob the temp reading (well almost all a64 reads temp poorly) and everything else just worked well. I wish it has more vdimm voltage avaliable tho :p

Hmm my vnf3 is rocking solid..2.45ghz on air prime 24 stable and can hit 2.55 without problem but prime not stable..you can't get more than that for a $72 bux mobo :p btw the DFI costs about 30-$50 more. the only problem I have for the vnf3 is prob the temp reading (well almost all a64 reads temp poorly) and everything else just worked well. I wish it has more vdimm voltage avaliable tho :p

Yours may be fine because you are not runing very high FSB. I had the FSB at 280 and the VNF3 did do prime and 3DMark OK but failed when runing PCMark. The North Bridge would overheat and shut down. The heatsink for the Northbridge is just a thin piece of metal and overheats easily. I had it at 270 X 9 when the Northbridge burned out. If it have had a better fan/heatsink, it should be able to handle it. I guess it's not too bad for $80 if you changed the heatsink on the Northbridge. However after the cost, that'll be just the same or more than the DFI. There is some problem with the VNF3. Other than the bios reading the wrond FSB and temp, is the biggest problem: Northbridge heatsink. We RMA it for a new one and will probably have to buy a better Northbridge cooler or keep must FSB low.

Back