• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disappearing pagefile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I have multiple drives installed.Windows is installed on my Acard pci raid0 card and have my programs installed on another IDE drive along with a backup drive on IDE as well.I had found that raid0 runs better when I keep at least 2 different page files,in this case I have one on the raid0 C: partition and one on the D: programs partition.Both of them are set min and max to 768,but when I reboot it will not keep the page-file on the c: drive but will keep the other on the IDE.Every time I set it and reboot to save changes it is there but as soon as I reboot again it is gone.

I noticed this before on my other rig ever since I installed XP pro,and never had this problem with Winn 2000.Is there a way to fix this? I have found nothing in the MS Database or searches on the web.

Last edited:
The following quote is taken from the MSKB article I've linked to below...
The optimal solution is to create one paging file that is, by default, stored on the boot partition, and then create one paging file on another, less frequently accessed partition. Additionally, it is optimal to create the second paging file so that it exists on its own partition, with no data or operating-system-specific files. By design, Windows uses the paging file on the less frequently accessed partition over the paging file on the more heavily accessed boot partition. An internal algorithm is used to determine which paging file to use for virtual memory management
How to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP

Interesting. I had my pagefile on a separate partition (separate drive actually), and did not have one at all on my boot partition. Just changed it, dunno if I see any kind of difference, but we'll see.

I have read that and it is what I am trying to do. Even though the second pagefile is on the programs drive it is set to min and max so it doesn't fragment.This is the one that is allways there.I do not understand why it will not keep both pagefiles when rebooted.I never had this problem with 2000.Is there a configuration file that is saved when it is shutdown that points to the pagefiles or is it perhaps in the registry?

My suggestion to you would be to not set the Initial size and Maximum size to the same values...this doesn't apply to XP/W2K. In addition, I would set both PF's to "System managed" size. XP manages the PF quite a bit better than the previous versions of Windows...and IMO, I think letting XP manage it (System managed size) is the way to go.

I guess I will have to try that.One of the reasons that I kept them all set the same was that Norton would place a static pagefile at the begining of the drive.I have also upgraded my Norton and it doesn't seem to move them there anymore.

Well it worked.After multiple reboots both are still there now.I changed only the C: to system managed and left the other static.The humorous thing is that I had actually set them both to 767 unlike I had indicated above and now the comined two are 1534 total,still 767 each.Now that's funny.

Back