• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plasma or LCD TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirjinx1974

I am in the market to buy a new TV and I wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with these kinds of TV's? I was looking at a 65in HD Plasma TV with a resolution of 1300 by 1020 or something. The picture looked beutifull, but I still do not know about the technology behind the TV. Someone told me that I needed to have it recharged every year and someone told me that the Plasma will last 20 years with no problems. What gives? The 65in LCD has a bulb that produces light and needs to be replaced every couple of years or so. The bulb cost $300 dollars to replace, or I have been told. So, I was wanting to know if anybody has any experience with these big TV's and if you own one let me know the Pros and cons?

Thank you

Well plasmas have about a 5 year half life, meaning that in 5 years the picture will be half as bright. They also tend to look better in the show room, but after a few years an LCD of the same age will be brighter.

LCDs do have backlight, and I supose that they could burn out, but I have yet to see it happen to one of them with any of the LCDs that I have delt with.

If you have the $$$ get an LCD.

If you buy plasma, you must buy a high quality one. You really do get what you pay for.

Higher end plasmas last ~8 years. They dont just blow up the second they hit 8yrs, but the picture will degrade enough for you to want to get rid of it. This is longer than most people keep a tv for, so it is really a non-issue. Buy a service plan with it. The technology is still fairly new, and under your conditions, it may have whatever problem for whatever reason. It is cheap insurance on such a big-ticket item. Plasmas have the second best picture quality from what I have seen (GTA looks awesome on one :) )

LCDs tend to blur on fast scenes. This is very noticable on movies and stuff like that. Small LCDs in a kitchen and stuff are great, but I would not get one in a large size.

The absolute best picture quality is in CRTs though. They only come in smaller sizes, so they are kind of out for you I would imagine.

This is a great site.
http://www.cheap-plasma-tv.com/plasma-vs-lcd-tv.htm

Do a search on yahoo. Just type in "Plasma vs LCD" it will turn up a ton.

Essentially, it can be summed up like this:

Today, Plasma TVs offer the advantage of larger screen sizes, lower costs, better viewing angles, and superior image refresh rates. They are probably the better choice for most home theater situations. However, LCD televisions are rapidly improving, and if manufacturers can address the most critical weakness (ghosting trails on fast moving images), increase screen size, and reduce consumer costs, the two technologies will be very competitive in the near future.

Today, LCD TVs hold the advantage of having no burn-in risk, longer life span, smaller size and weight, and considerably lower power consumption and heat. Both offer excellent overall picture quality, brightness and color, with LCDs holding a slight edge generally in screen resolution and daytime viewing.

I have seen those slim CRT HD TV's and they are small compared to the old bulky CRT TV's. I saw a 56in HD, Widescreen, floor sitting, slim CRT TV at a local store and the picture looked excellent. I do know what you are saying about the LCD's and how they blur when fast moving objects are on the screen. My wife wants one more than I do so I told her I would do some research about this and let her know. :clap: I have owned an LCD display for my computer in the past and 2 days after I brought it home two pixles went out. :mad: The picture was not as crisp as my 19in CRT so I gues I can take this kind of experience and apply it to buying a 50 or 60in HD TV.

Be advised,,,LCD having many advantages which in my opinioon make it a better buy have a huge Disadvantage when you are not using a pure digital image.Most, not all cable connections are a mix of Analog and Digital..In this area a plasma TV is the better choice.

However if you have satilite TV...There totally digital and personally I would go LCD in that instance...Also remember the bulbs in an LCD are replaceable..Last a lot longer and in my opinion with digital input give as good or better a picture then plasma...Just my 2 cents..

I work for an electrical store, and I can say that you definately want to avoid the cheaper LCDs and Plasmas, because quite frankly they look crap.

Of the ones we do at work, the 42" Panasonic Plasma looks the best. Better than the 42" Samsung Plasma and probably on par with the 32" Samsung LCD.

The LCDs are more expensive, and we dont do any bigger than 32" in LCD as we wouldnt sell them - Plasmas are more cost effective.

As mentioned, definately take out the Service Agreement if offered. Don't take them at full value if possible - haggle a bit and many stores will offer money off. For example. where I work we can usually knock off between 5 and 10% off the products price in order to clinch a big service agreement/insurance plan sale.

Example: 32" Samsung LCD TV is £1699. Service Agreement (Coverplan) is £399 for 5 years. Last time I sold one of these I knocked £100 off the cover in order to get the customer to take it. Whether sales people can do this varies from store to store, although it cant hurt to ask (and ask the manager where the salesperson says they cannot take money off it). If they dont back down and knock money off, threaten to leave the entire sale. And if they STILL dont take anything off it (unlikely) be prepared to leave. You can always come back later if you cant get a better deal.

David said:
Plasmas are more cost effective.

To buy yes, to own, no.

When you have to replace your 5y old TV with another one, well, thats not very cost effictive, but the LCD is still running strong.

I don't replace my TV every 8 years, and don't plan to if I get a new on either. I don't have $2500 to spend every decade on a TV. I want to buy something that I can have for a long time, untill somehting a lot better comes out.

Now Im looking at a new TV becuase of HDTV and LCDs/DLP Prjection TVs

Anyways, this is off topic enough.

Personally I'd get a plasma screen but I've heard stories about them from co-workers and some friends that have gotten them.

Recharging the Plasma screen costs ~$1,000. Be prepard if the screen goes crap because it costs lots to fix it. Otherwise Plasma screens are great for the size gotta say I surrly wouldn't mind one in my liviing room :). If all else fails you might look into DLP Boxes since they have a great picture also and are cheaper cost and also to repair if issues arise.

I have a 50" LCD Rear projection tv and its pretty good. It's colors aren't as vibrant as a plasma, but they should last longer. (Direct view always beats rear projection). Unless you have lots of money to spend and have good income, then you could get a Plasma, but LCD or DLP should last longer, especially if you don't want to spend alot.

There's also a new technology called LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon?). Its pretty new and i've only seen one of these tv's. I heard the way it works is very similar to a LCD screen. IMO I think it has some potential but almost no one makes them yet. The only company i know of is JVC.

deathman20,

you should put a smiley after the comment on recharging plasma's. Some people may get confused. If you were serious, you cannot recharge plasma's.

Could you guys clear some thing up for me? I heard that plasma's need time to set up a 'field' before the image will look good. Also after the field has been set, you can't move the TV or the field will get messed up. Is this true?

Feydd said:
Could you guys clear some thing up for me? I heard that plasma's need time to set up a 'field' before the image will look good. Also after the field has been set, you can't move the TV or the field will get messed up. Is this true?

Not sure about that, could be true though.

Mine is on a swivel, I can swivel it a few inches and it still looks the same.

Older plasma screens may also burn-in if a still image is left on it long enough.

When I said cost effective, yes I meant to buy. Plasmas are more expensive to repair (and appropriately the Service Plans are more expensive, around £500 to £600 for 5 years (I think)).

Apparently, if the Plasma screen should be damaged, they are near impossible to repair (due to being filled with gas) and so are often just replaced if damaged.

Dc5e said:
Older plasma screens may also burn-in if a still image is left on it long enough.

Burn in is possible, check the small print of any Service Agreements before buying, for example Currys Coverplan (UK company) do not cover you for screen burn at all.

Personally, I would say (if you can afford it) definitely go with a nice LCD, skip the plasma. It is definitely worth sacrificing inches for quality, as especially seen with many projection pieces.

But, DLP's look great, and they are a slightly cheaper alternative.

And for the classic, buy an expensive 36in CRT, such as a Sony Wega, some of the best quality for the price.

Bright and crisp

What's all of this I hear of Plasma display degradation. My Uncle's old 42" Matsushiita display from around 1997 or so, looks very nice today! Must be a isolated event, lol.

Last edited:
Big Smoke said:
What's all of this I hear of Plasma display degradation. My Uncle's old 42" Matsushiita display from around 1997 or so, looks very nice today! Must be a isolated event, lol.

Im sure if you saw it side by side a brand new model, you would be singing a differnet song.

Illuminus said:
And for the classic, buy an expensive 36in CRT, such as a Sony Wega, some of the best quality for the price.

The Sony Wega TVs are kickass, I agree. We have the KD28HX15U and the KD28DL11U at work, both 28". We also have a 32, although I think its the DL but not sure.

Back