• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP install HDD error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonroeM

I'm trying to install XP, clean/fresh install on the specs below.

Celeron 900mhz/256mb SDRAM/PCCHIPS M791G v1.0a/Netgear WG311/Generic IEEE PCI card/40Gb Western Digital HDD/DVD-ROM drive/CDRW drive

What happens is when I get to the partitions screen, it sees the the hdd as a "7555mb" partition (sometimes it says 7560mb w/ 7559mb free). When I format the hdd, after 100%, it says...

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. if the disk is a SCSI... blah blah blah" the disk is an ATA100 drive.

I've changed settings in the BIOS, nothing. I've tried two different copies of XP, one fresh XP disc, another slipstreamed SP2 disc, and a W2K SP3 disc and I still get the error. I've tried both CDRW and DVD-ROM drives, then disconnected the other drive and tried it again. Changed from master to slave, set the appropriate jumpers. I've disconnected the floppy drive, pulled all uneccessary PCI cards, and finally read through the manual and the error still happens.

I also tried a 60gb Maxtor, an 18gb Seagate, along w/ the 40gb WD, and it's still giving me the error.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the mobo supports both SD and DDR, I've tried both (not together of course) and still get the error. Also updated to the latest AMI BIOS from PCChips' website.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with your board, but in the BIOS (normally under Standard CMOS Features), do you have an option called "Access Mode" under "IDE Channel 1 Master"? This is assuming the HDD is connected to IDE 1, and is Master on the controller. If so, check to see if the "Access Mode" is set to Auto, CHS, or LBA...if it's set to Auto or CHS, change it to LBA.

I know you mentioned that you tried other HDD's in addtion to the WD, but have you used the Data Lifeguard tools available from WD to actually test your drive? The drive is connected to the onboard IDE controller, and not a PCI or onboard RAID controller...correct?

Just tested a brand-new pair of IDE cables and floppy cable, still no dice.

Currently running the Data Lifeguard tool, will report back when it's finished testing.

EDIT: BTW, yes, the drive is connected to the IDE channel. There is no RAID function on the mobo. There's also no PCI IDE card in either... although I have one, maybe I should try it?

I'm going to a LAN party tonight so I don't have much time to fix it ATM, but I will hammer on it tomorrow. It might be the motherboard, purchased from Newegg, just recieved a few days ago.

Last edited:
Ok, passed both the Quick Test and the Advanced test, no errors on the drive found.

It could very well be the motherboard, after I try the PCI IDE controller tomorrow, I'll know.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I'll be back w/ updates tomorrow.

Back