• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP2000+ at 63°C without oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

potiocom

hello,
my processor is anormaly too hot without oc, I don't understand why.
Somebody can explain me?
Core speed: 1667Mhz
Multiplier: 12.5
FSB: 133.4Mhz
Bus speed: 266.8Mhz

win xp
AMD 2000+ thoroughbred
512 RAM (PC 2700)
motherboard Abit KD7 Kt400
graphic card Leadtek 6600 gt agp
HDD Seagate 60 Gb
power 350W
adsl 512K

Case temp seems real high, which would contribute to the poor CPU temp. It seems to me that you need to either upgrade your case cooling, or add some fans to your case.

What case do you have?

as5 is arctic silver 5 a thermal interface material, to be put on the cpus die in order to improve heat transfer to the heatsink.
But as it seems, this is not your problem, if your case temperature is 50C.
You need to improve the airflow through your case. Do you have any case fans?

edit: was too late

I have a little case fan yes, maybe I should add a heatsink on?
note for later, Don't buy a Abit KD7...

Ok...scared me to death then. but saying that if you did have no heatsink on it would be well and truly fried. Immiedeately.

No you do not have heatsinks for cases just Fans the mininmum is usually 1 in the rear as exhaust sucking the warm air out of your case. 1 in the front as intake drawing cold air into your case. 1 on the side as intake opposite your cpu plus your power supply will have at least 1 on to draw hot air out from it.

Did you put ANY kind of thermal paste/transfer material between the CPU/heatsink when you mounted it? If you didn't that would be the most obvious reason. The case temp is another but I don't see how the case temp could make the CPU get THAT hot after installing an after market heatsink. Also were are you getting your temp readings from? If it's the BIOS, those readings are known for being way off. Try a program like Sandra to get your tempratures.

yes I have thermal paste.
Yesterday I bought a new heatsinks, the silent boost K7, what do you think about this. I think it's compatible withe my mobo KD7, doesn't it?
I've open my computer and the new temps are:
CPU:59
case:46
(with a little oc 1667->1720 it's the best I'm allowed to do :}

Thanks for you advices

Feydd said:
Did you put ANY kind of thermal paste/transfer material between the CPU/heatsink when you mounted it? If you didn't that would be the most obvious reason. The case temp is another but I don't see how the case temp could make the CPU get THAT hot after installing an after market heatsink. Also were are you getting your temp readings from? If it's the BIOS, those readings are known for being way off. Try a program like Sandra to get your tempratures.

It in fact can make the CPU get that hot. The heatsink inside the case is using the air inside the case to cool down the fins of the heatsink. If this air is stagnant and at 50C then the coldest that heatsink could get (only in theory, thermodynamically speaking) is 50C. Since, quite obviously, there is no such thing as a "perfect" heatsink, the actual temp will be higher. Using air cooling, your processor can only get as cool as the air in which it resides.

I would use the previously suggested fan setup. Get those temps in the mid to low 30s and you will most likely see some good CPU temps.

Last edited:
Take the side off of your case, and tell us how much it drops. Also, is that 59c Idle temp? Or is that under full load? How did you measure the temp?

jbloudg20 said:
It in fact can make the CPU get that hot. The heatsink inside the case is using the air inside the case to cool down the fins of the heatsink. If this air is stagnant and at 50C then the coldest that heatsink could get (only in theory, thermodynamically speaking) is 50C. Since, quite obviously, there is no such thing as a "perfect" heatsink, the actual temp will be higher. Using air cooling, your processor can only get as cool as the air in which it resides.

I would use the previously suggested fan setup. Get those temps in the mid to low 30s and you will most likely see some good CPU temps.

Indeed, most of the time its a constant difference in temperatures like:
if 46C case leads to 59C cpu, then
30C case should lead to about 43C cpu.

Your case temperature is just too high, even if this sensor was seated on the northbrigde, it shouldn't get past 35C. Try to use a fan into your opened acse, or a hair dryer switched to cold air ro anything that is able to move air.
If it works, its time to put out the dremel, and put some nice fans into your case.

In my opinion the board is reporting higher temps then normal, heck i have a case which one on it and a really cheap one, not counting the psu, but the highest temp I got was 40c and that was during the summer. Open the side of the case and leave it open and see if the temperature drops, even put a big fan next to it just to see how much the temp lowers, and keep in mind that a good case cooling would be cooler then with the case open.

Back