• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to update bios on my neo platinum 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Im using the 1.3 currently.

i turn on live update and it says 1.4's are available but they only fix sata drives after resume from s3 which doesn't even pertain to me

should i bother updating and possibly chancing ruining my board?

i dont need a floppy to change bios do i?

all i do is run the program download the bios and reboot correct?

Unless you are (a) experiencing problems or (b) need a feature in the updated BIOS then it probably isnt worth your while flashing your BIOS.

If you did flash your BIOS, you boot into DOS using a bootdisk or boot CD and use the supplied program and downloaded BIOS image to flash the BIOS. Then reboot when done.

Im not sure then - I havent needed to do any BIOS flashing for a year and a half, and my board needs you to do it from DOS.

Are you sure it isnt SATA drivers or something its suggesting you update?

well the 1.4 bios say it only fixed sata resume from s3 which i dont use but what if theres another version later on.

i would like to know how to do it know so i dont have to find out later :D

You probably would be better off with your current bios unless you're having difficulties, but if you really do want to update your bios, I personally would recommend using winflash.

You should be able to find it at C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\FlashUty\Award\winflash.exe

Just go ahead and download the bios you would like to use from http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html which has all the official and beta bioses available. Open up winflash, point it to the bios you would like to use, and it will flash your bios for you. Previously, I had always used floppy disks to do my flashing, but this is so much easier, and I have not had a problem yet.

Many will argue that it is not as safe as using a floppy disk, but I know that I personally will never use a floppy disk to flash my bios ever again. But that's just my experience. Either way, good luck.

Yes, you can just use the live update everthing is automatic, just let it do it's thing and follow the prompts. It's cool does everthing in windows, gone are the bad old day's of boot disc's. Happy flashing :D

Back