• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to extend wireless range on a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

My friend's next door neighbor has a wireless network, and his friend gave the OK to connect through it. The problem is, his laptop doesnt have the required range. He also does not know much about wireless networking. Should I install netstumbler on his pc to help him with finding a wireless network? And about the range....being a laptop, you cannot really add an external antenna to a CF card. What can I do to increase his range? Perhaps an external box and a cantenna?

I have no idea. I've just seen wardriving and long range wireless stuff on TV, and they use laptops.
Google would be a great start as usua, but you might also check out the NetStumbler forums and other wifi specific/wardriving forums.

The range exteners are for all wireless networks and can be found at newegg. I'm not sure exactly what type of setup they need though.

also check out the sticky under the alternative modding then modded and sticky subforum called wireless cantanna i belive that that will get you more of a gain than the pringles can but either on can do it cheap and easy

I would not use an "Cantanna" just because they look pretty ghetto. After a quick Ebay search for "wireless antenna: I cam up with this as the first one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86720&item=5742908471&rd=1

That was totally random by the way and I do not know that guy or company.

I use a 1200 dollar 3com 8750 AP at home that does A/B/G and a specific 3com antenna but they are all pretty much the same on the inside. I use to have one outside but I took it down, how many times do I really mess with it 4 miles away? Anyhow it works great. I would stick with the 3com stuff but then again I am a 3com nut with thousands of dollars in there equipment (fiber gigabit all over the house).

Lol, yes it is 1337 but I prefer to just buy my wireless toys. It does do the same thing if you know what you are doing. No disrespect intended.

Haha! Yes. My friend and I shared a DSL connection over several miles with an old used up 7 foot dish. :D Two actually. :D

EDIT: This was a while ago.

It was fun to set up, but our parents both got mad about these rather large dish's we had inconviently in our yards.

-Sam :D

From what I recall you should look for an orinoco pcmcia card as they usually have the connector for a wireless antenna. or My favorite is what hey560 did in THIS thread. I got one of these little USB wireless card and am gonna try it this weekend........

Back