• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the (Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless Network Adapter) good for PCs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qedi

Registered
So..I've always used laptops my whole life and I have always used wireless internet. It's just simple on laptops because they generally have good adapters and are made for that sort of thing, and you can just connected to WiFi. However, my PC is coming in 1-2 weeks and I was recommended to order a Wireless Network Adapter or I wouldn't be able to connect to WiFi (unless I had wired internet or an internet card installed into the PC, which I don't know if it does).

To the point, I've heard that PC wifi-range isn't the best. I'm all new to the PC world as this will be my first PC I'm getting. I might be over-stressing, but on most wifi adapters, I've heard some bad reviews of for example: "Randomly disconnects" or "poor connection". On my laptops I've used, I have had very good internet and been able to connect to WiFi at fast connections.

My internet provider provides pretty fast internet + The router is on the same floor as where my PC will be, but not in the same room. I'd say it's not too far away, but isn't the closest, but it's within mid-range.

So the Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter which comes with my PC, will this work and be efficient for my PC and be able to connect to WiFi, and will it not just randomly disconnect randomly. I've heard good and bad reviews about it, but I'm afraid that it might not be good and I will not get any WiFi. Even though my internet providers pretty good connection (on wireless) and my laptop connects to the WiFi decently. I'd be happy if the Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter (for my PC) gives me the same WiFi that I get on my laptop.

If anyone can educate me to how these adapters and PC's work with wifi, that'll be much appreciated. All I want to essentially know is if the the Wireless Network Adapter which comes with my PC will be efficient and be able to connect to WiFi at a strong connection (like my Laptop does, which has no adapter). and I don't want my PC to randomly disconnect from WiFi because my laptop doesn't and I'm paying for really good internet service from my provider + my router is on the same floor (not same room) where my PC will be. I just want my PC to have the same WiFi I get on my laptop which is very efficient and has strong connection without any adapter, so I really hope this (Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter) doesn't make my WiFi worse..

(If anyone can help me, I'll gladly appreciate it)

Why the bold?

What motherboard do you have?

Assuming the motherboard has one on there, they've worked fine for me... but everyone's situation is different. I honestly wouldnt sweat over it. If it isnt sufficient, then look into a discrete card or perhaps upgrading the router.

The one you listed is pretty basic... but should do fine. How fast is your internet DL speeds?

Motherboard: Intel Z390

I can't, it's pre-built and was ordered from the Overclockers website. I added the extra option for "WiFi", the "Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless Network Adapter". Because I was told that you cannot connect to the internet without having one on a PC.

Motherboard: Intel Z390

I can't, it's pre-built and was ordered from the Overclockers website. I added the extra option for "WiFi", the "Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless Network Adapter". Because I was told that you cannot connect to the internet without having one on a PC.
That Intel z390 tells us nothing... which make and model??

Any motherboard has a LAN port. So if you can connect that way, do so and no wireless card is needed. Some boards have Wi-Fi on it already...look up the make and model of your board and see if it has wifi on it.

I don't think you've read what I said.

I ordered the PC with the WiFi adapter and I haven't tried it out. My router is really fast for providing wifi/connection, on wireless. For all my laptops and other device like phones, it has been really good WiFi with no problems. But I heard on PC's, WiFi can disconnect A LOT on wireless internet (I can only use wireless), and when I was ordering my PC, I picked the WiFi option of the "Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless Network Adapter" incase my PC didn't have any card, so I would have no wifi to connect to. So I chose to add a Wireless Network Adapter so I would be able to connect to wifi and to ensure I'll have good connections to WiFi (without disconnecting)

I've read and understood what you wrote. Thank you for now clarifying you can only use wireless.

As was said, some mobos have wifi integrated. They worked fine in my experience...modern wifi on motherboards doesnt have any more issues than any other wifi really... whoever told you that was misinformed. That said, your mileage may vary on the same card...it depends on the environment... how far you are away from the router, etc. If your laptop wifi works fine, so will the mobo or card you ordered.

Again, the wifi card you chose will likely work fine. Its basic, but should work fine. If you find it does not, then consider a better one. This isnt a black and white issue. You could live in a converted bunker where the signal doesnt go through a wall... or live in a yert where fabric walls dont matter... get the point there? :)

You'll have to try and see with what you ordered already.

My internet speed is pretty fast and it's got good connections (which I encounter this on all my devices and laptops as I stated).

My router is on the same floor as where my PC will be (same location of where my laptop was), at mid range (not too far from the router, but isn't the closest either).

The motherboard on the PC I ordered just says "Intel Z390 Motherboard", I cannot find the make of it.

Is the wifi card installed into the motherboard, and so you don't need a wifi adapter technically as you'd be able to connect to the WiFi with the wifi card which is provided in the motherboard already? If it doesn't have a wifi card for example in the motherboard, is the "Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless Network Adapter" a backup which will still work for my PC and would connect to WiFi? (Still having good connections at fast speed like my internet provides anyway) and not disconnecting randomly?

1. Mobos with wifi have a card installed on it, yes. They are a different form factor (size) than you ordered, but yes, they are integrated on SOME boards. As I said, if overclockers doesnt list a specific model board, you would be good to ask them...
2. Yes.

So you're saying if my motherboard has a wifi card installed on it and it's like really good. What would be the purpose of the wifi adapter, would that improve anything or just be there for nothing, since the motherboard which is provided with my PC already has a good wifi card integerated in?

I dont know if it has integrated wifi or not. It will likely work just fine for you if it does.

Z390 integrates wifi 6 802.11ax support into the chipset(z390 part) but the board needs to have a card...not all do. Some are fast... faster than that card. Though you may not notice a difference if all you are used to is laptop wifi. If it was me, I'd see what board is in there and if it has wifi and what card (specs page of the motherboard will show it).

Edit: I see wifi is listed as option so I assume it isnt in the board. If I was you I would have ordered the middle one. Though what you have will likely be fine.

Last edited:
Quedi, why all these questions? Just use the wifi adapter came installed on the system you ordered and see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't then you can explore other options.

Back