• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo Plat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

For anyone who has this board are you able to OC past 2.6? Most of the people I have seen cant get higher, but people with the DFI Lanparty they can hit 2.7 or higher. Any explination for this?

I am at 2640 (consertive, have not tried real overclocking yet) with a Antec True 430 PSU. Seems like a good board to me. P95 does not work but Memtest86 and Super PI have no problems!

I am planning on a PCP&C or OCZ power supply soon so it may get better.

Well I finally did it, I got past 2.57! Im at 2604 right now and ill see if it stays stable and if it does ill go higher. :D

inkfx said:
For anyone who has this board are you able to OC past 2.6? Most of the people I have seen cant get higher, but people with the DFI Lanparty they can hit 2.7 or higher. Any explination for this?

I have seen a lot of NEO 2's running well past 2.6Ghz...on average the OC is around 2.6 or so...quite a few 3G CPU's running on the NEO2

See sig for specs...

Well I dont have a Neo2. Anyway it crashed while I was running Prime95. =\ Its because of my cooling, I will get watercooling sooner or later. Unless someone can recomend me a very good fan heatsink/fan.

I wouldnt put my faith in Prime...Prime and winnies tend to have issues running...I cant run Prime at 1.8G...let alone default...and that does not mean my system is unstable...far from it

I personally like to use Super Pi (32mb calc), 01 - 03 and 05...plus I game for a few hours...if I can run everything without them crashing and MT will pass...then that just goes to show prime is out of its time with the newer A64's...so dont put your faith in P95 and the winnies...

As for cooling...I personally use a XP-90 and 92mm tornado and AS5...my full load temps never get over 43c when running at 2.75G/1.6v

Well I also tried to play HL2 and CS:Source and it kept crashing because the temps were really high. What about the 120? If I can afford that should I buy it instead?

How the hell did you get a Neo to run so fast?
My crappy one will not boot past 228mhz.... It doesn't even try to, and it is not my ram.

Could it be my processor? I tried lowering the multi to 5 and seeing if that helped.

My crappy one will not boot past 228mhz.... It doesn't even try to, and it is not my ram.
How can ya be sure? I thought i had good ramm too when i kept crashing at 220 FSB. Well, i started using the divisor and got it to 280fsb....

I am not trying to start a Prime 95 argument, but I just want to share my experience. First, my 4 sticks of single sided RAM are a decided disadvantage. I can run Prime stable up to 9X240 for 9 hours. My games and applications are also stable up to this speed. If I push the system to 9X241, no matter how I set my timings, it's not stable by any measure. However, at that same setting (9X240) I get memTest errors in less than a minute. In fact, the highest I can run a stable overclock as per memTest is 9X237, which of course is a CPU speed of 27 MHz less than I can Prime. For my personal satisfaction, I need to know it's stable no matter what I'm running, but that is my choice and everyone can and should make a decision for themselves on what is their standard for a stable system.
Despite some quirkiness, I believe the MSI is a pretty good platform.

Congrats Inkfx! Good to see your board is working well. So far from I have seen that the K8N Neo2 boards OC far better than the older K8N Neo boards. I have a A64 3000+ and I cant get past 225 FSB regardless of the settings, multipliers, etc. I cant wait to get rid of this board it has given me nothing but problems.

Hi all,
I am new to OC'n
I just got an MSI K8N neo platinum with a 2800 chip. I have a Thermaltake polo 3 n 1 fan on it. my initial attempts at overclocking cause it to fail and not reboot. can someone tell me what setting to try in the bios? I am running the most current bios that the msi live says is out there.

inkfx said:
The motherboard has very little to do with how a CPU overclocks. It could be any number of people. Besides making sweeping statements like that really arent helpful.

Who are these people? I can name only 3 that are over 2.6:

Jess1313
Rebothantos
<one more who''s name I forget>

Every other guy I see is still within the 2.5ghz range. Plus its unfair to compare mobile DTRs to regular desktop chips.

usarmyaircav said:
Hi all,
I am new to OC'n
I just got an MSI K8N neo platinum with a 2800 chip. I have a Thermaltake polo 3 n 1 fan on it. my initial attempts at overclocking cause it to fail and not reboot. can someone tell me what setting to try in the bios? I am running the most current bios that the msi live says is out there.
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and please help find a cure for cancer by folding for team 32.

It would be best if you started your own thread and posted the pertinant information. Ie:
What CPu
what PSU
what RAM
etc

;) All of us would love to help, but overclocking is FAR from cut-and-dry :-/

Back