• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modernizing my WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
I just moved away from probably my favorite rental, it had a window AC unit that blew directly onto my open bench system. I was able to OC my 3080Ti to the max. Now that I'm in my new place, I believe I'm seeing the age of my WC. My current loop is as follows: Pump -> GPU (3080Ti) -> 140 Rad (Push-Pull) -> CPU (5800X3D) -> Res -> 240 Rad (Push Only) -> Pump.

I'm proud to say I'm the happy father of a 15yr old MCP-655, but I'm afraid of the when. When will it finally die? Its probably something I shouldn't put out there but its a discussion that needs to be had. Really sad if you think about it.

Anyway, it seems like there are PWM motor replacement parts for this pump, have anyone done this? Worthwhile? Is there something better than the trusty MCP-655?

I'm also concerned about my rads. They came into my house one day and I haven't figured out where they come from or what they are. The 140 is a Swiftech and is a bit thick, the 240 is slimer, can't see any markings with it in the system. I think they can't handle the power output of my parts. I've seen some of the newer rads and they seem to be more efficient. Any thoughts on this? How often should rads be changed based on advances in tech and design? I'm thinking 7+ years, especially now that there has been a lot of investment in this tech for the past 5 years.

Back