• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSN Messenger Security Risks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckDodgers

I have heard all kinds of conflicting statements on the security risks of MSN Messneger. What are the risks if any? I am running a router firewall, Zone Alarm Pro, NOD32 Anti Virus, Adware SE, Spybot and Pest Patrol.

Am I covered or is there still risks.

Slackfumasta said:
There are always risks, but I would say you'll be okay. Just don't do stupid things like open up files that strange people try to send to you.

Well for the most part is not me on MSN Messenger. Thanks for the reply though.

Slackfumasta said:
There are always risks, but I would say you'll be okay. Just don't do stupid things like open up files that strange people try to send to you.

The biggest mistake most people make are to install programs off the net. I'd say you'll be alright. Just beware of those programs that are packaged with legit software like gain with some divx installs and other software that can get spyware on your computer.

You'll be okay as long as you watch what you download/install & keep an eye on the ZA popups that tell you something is trying to access the net...if you don't know what's trying to access the net, deny it.

You can try using Teatimer that's optional with Spybot. I run it on my machine, and it works really well. It lets me know of anything trying to modify the registry without my permission.

Back