• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVG Free, Zone Alarm Plus Other Security Software (Free Editions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I would like to know how these FREE editions of AVG and ZA rate on a scale of 1-10 see I have Norton Internet Security 2006 installed. I have these 2 pieces of software on a useful DVD-R with all my other useful programs I update them whenever a new version comes out just wanted to know how good are they for protection with them being FREE. I know AVG gets a lot of praise but I heard the latest Zone Alarm has caused a few people system problems.

I have also a Linksys AG241 Router with hardware firewall for even more protection is there any other FREE anti-virus and firewall programs out there as well that are good and use low memory.

I gave up on ZA after some issue I had with them awhile ago. I ran a HW firewall instead, I recently just started using Comodo as a software firewall. I have no real complaints with it.

I use AVG and have no complaints what so ever, its much smaller and less bloated then Norton. Norton used to be pretty decent and now it is becoming way too overly bloated for my tastes.

I am assuming the Hardware firewall is in your router or is it a program??? I don't know much about Firewalls juts that Norton and McAfee have them along with other companies. How secure is my firewall on my router would you say?

After looking at this website.

I can't say that AVG is really that great anymore considering that other free AV like Active Virus Shield, Avast and Antivir score much higher than it does. Do note that Active Virus Shield's definitions are provided by Kaspersky, hell it uses the same interface as Kaspersky only it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the anti-spam and firewall etc.

I can't say too much on firewalls as I'm using the default Windoze one.

ive used both AVG and KAV network editions (on about 30 workstations) with an administrator console.

KAV found stuff that AVG 7.1 didnt find, yet AVG 7.5 found stuff that KAV didnt find...

im happy with AVG 7.5

i've also found sophos to be quite good

i would reccomend a hardware firewall

I have used AVG, and it worked okay for me.. personally I like small footprint antivirus software. I used nod32 for 2 years a few months back switched to antivir. Better detection rates now, and its free!

Its good to run online scans of a different brand every now and then too.

For firewall, Tiny is the best I have ever used. But its seriously not a simple FW.

I have a firewall in my Linksys AG241 router it's the 1st thing I looked for when buying 1 also an inbuilt ADSL modem too. No need to dial out all the time when I want to connect I am not so sure how hardware firewalls are for security. I mean I bet they can block quite alot cause there built with CISCO approval but I reckon they can't do everything.

zonama...you might be interested in knowing that the windows firewall does not block outgoing traffic.

I use ZoneAlarm free version...have used it for about 8 years...also use Ad-Aware (free), Spybot S&D (free),SpywareBlaster (free), SpywareGuard (free), and I pay for eTrust anti-virus...about $20.00/year...cheap for a real good anti-virus.

All of these work just fine together...have never had any problems.

A layered defense is a must...no single program will catch everything..

Everyone has their favorites....there is other real good, free software available also...pick what appeals to you...keep all updates current...and layer your defenses....it's WAR OUT THERE !!!

I like Kerio personal frewall over Zone alarms(free).

I use kaspersky corp. for my AV. I got it from work and love being able to scan any computer on my network.

I also use spybot.

Kerio is an excellent firewall....I guess it's just that old habits are hard to break...

zonama™ said:
After looking at this website.

I can't say that AVG is really that great anymore considering that other free AV like Active Virus Shield, Avast and Antivir score much higher than it does. Do note that Active Virus Shield's definitions are provided by Kaspersky, hell it uses the same interface as Kaspersky only it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the anti-spam and firewall etc.

I can't say too much on firewalls as I'm using the default Windoze one.

I've told people about Active Virus shield, but when you say it's from aol people just assume that it can't be good, when all it is is an older version of the Kaspersky engine. I have been using it for a while without any problems.

stevejr said:
zonama...you might be interested in knowing that the windows firewall does not block outgoing traffic.

I use ZoneAlarm free version...have used it for about 8 years...also use Ad-Aware (free), Spybot S&D (free),SpywareBlaster (free), SpywareGuard (free), and I pay for eTrust anti-virus...about $20.00/year...cheap for a real good anti-virus.

All of these work just fine together...have never had any problems.

A layered defense is a must...no single program will catch everything..

Everyone has their favorites....there is other real good, free software available also...pick what appeals to you...keep all updates current...and layer your defenses....it's WAR OUT THERE !!!

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really like ZoneAlarm when I used it some time back, though I think I'll install Kaspersky internet security which has a firewall after I do a reformat sometime around the last week of the year. Maybe I'll even set up a smoothie if I can find the time and if it doesn't cost a bomb to leave on 24/7.

Avg said:
I've told people about Active Virus shield, but when you say it's from aol people just assume that it can't be good, when all it is is an older version of the Kaspersky engine. I have been using it for a while without any problems.

Yeah that is so true, just because it has AOL's logo on it everyone thinks it sucks. Though most of the non US people I've recommended it to have taken up on the advice, guess you US guys must really hate AOL for stuff like this to happen.

And I've just noticed we joined around the same time and I still only have 1 star and you're a blue already. Haha, I should really stop lurking.

Last edited:
security programs

having been a vicim of many successfull computer attacks in years past, I have been very carfull (paranoid) but have had no problems since 1999. Why:
I stopped using Norton and never paid a dime on anouther all consuming - take control securty system that does not work well or play well with others.
I also turn off Windows firewall becouse it is hard to control its conflict with others. Zone Alarm has had problems in Windows 98E and ME but I have used it in XP without a hitch with several other security programs; same goes with AVG, in and 98SE it was hard to control. I also use spyware blaster as both fire wall (does not consume your RAM), spyware and Ad-aware SE, and Spybot - Serch and distroy (good fire wall) with no problems ever. They all back up you software in their own way, system snap shot and registry back up. All of these have addition plug in for identifying and cleaning your system of the very worst bugs the evil mind can conjure.
You can control all of these to start when you wont and update when you wont. All free. Spybot, Zone alarm and Spyware blaster all run together in the back round as fire walls.
Don't leave internet connection on for hours without use, and back your main drive with hot swap drive or external.

I almost forgot that I also use Mozilla Firfox as my defalt Browser. It also acts as firwall and allows me to control Javascript by clicking on allow for each new websight I choose. A far safer Browser over Exploror.

I know that Firefox is excellent and I keep telling myself to switch over....but I guess that I'm just too lazy to have to get used to a new browser...heck, I still like the older Internet Explorer tool bar layout that I had with 98SE over the newer style. But since I have never been hit with a worm, malware, trojan,etc...and since I try and keep all of my defenses up to date....and practice "safe surfing" as much as possible...then I will just stick with what I am comfortable with.

I absolutely hated ZoneAlarm and AVG. Constant pop-ups and they weren't very effective either. Now I just run Sygate Personal Firewall & AntiVir + Ad-Aware Etc. Works great and zero popups once I do the reg hack to get rid of the AntiVir popups.

And depending on my mood I use either Firefox 1.5.0x (I don't like 2.0 as much) or Opera.

Back