• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it necessary to do a diskcheck every few years + Vopt defragmenter is free

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A question was posed, somewhere in this thread, about which is the better defrag... so I searched and found some reviews for those that are curious to read.

The articles, much like their predecessors mention the obvious, that the additional features are missing in Windows native defragmenter. They then list them from no reporting features to no ability to "add or omit folders from your scan." etc.

They do not specifically say if and why Windows defragementing results are different.
Nor do they specifically say how and why actual defrag results are different with each software.

They do talk about features, which is why the initial assumption appears to stand - that really the additional features and not the defrag itself is where the diffrences lie.
No review has ever specifically said this however.

Diskeeper and O&O Defrag are "professional" products right ? whats the difference ?

My understanding is that defragging doesn't really make much or any difference in performance unless the percentage of fragmentation is pretty high. And every version of Windows since Vista does this in the background unless you disable it. That's good enough for me. But I'm not sure that's true for nonsystem drives.

NoNo, i meant whats the difference between the "professional" programs and the free ones. Is it the defrag speed, the algorithm it uses, the fact they have a brand name ? (asking anyone who actually got one of these and tried it)

A question was posed, somewhere in this thread, about which is the better defrag... so I searched and found some reviews for those that are curious to read.

"asking anyone who actually got one of these and tried it" :p

Sadly software reviews never get too technical, i already sent emails to O&O, Diskeeper and Puran, not gonna bother with Defraggler because of their history. What i'm personally interested in knowing is what the defragger itself does different (if anything), i couldn't care less about "extra features" as i don't use them.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.
Never had I read a review that answers that question.

Back