• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating i7 4770k after win10 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LTHL1

Hi all, dear lord it's been a while since I used a forum! I've searched high and low and tried various things (except start my own thread). Hopefully we can all get my rig up and running properly again before this lan party I've organised in 2 weeks.

My Specs:
i7 4770k (default clock)
Cooler: ANTEC h2o 650
Mobo: MSI Z87-G55
Ram: Kingston - Predator Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
GFX: Gigabyte- windforce gtx 770 4gb

So basically this is the turn of events that has lead me here. As far as what I've tried the order may be a little skewed but you can see what I've tried at least.
Previous OS was Win 7. Everything was working fine and I hadn't noticed any issues for a while. A friend invited me to the closed Sea of Thieves beta (he's a dev) but to participate I needed to install xbox insider and thus upgrade to win10.

I downloaded the free upgrade and proceeded to install.
Seemed to update without issue. All my files and programs carried across. I noticed the cfan speeds were really high and the indicator light was red. Checking the monitoring software confirmed that the temps were high. Task manager however says CPU utilisation is low which is wierd.
- I've re-applied thermal paste and got all the dust out
-I've optimised windows and disabled a lot of crap so my CPU idles at around 8%
-I've done a clean nstall of Windows 10 (which hasn't helped.)
-I've updated all my drivers
_I've run a 6 hour stress test which showed no errors.

Other useful bits of info, Since the isue started I haven't had any auto shut downs due to high temps, the CPU feels warm to the touch but not 100 degress tha the bios is reading. when turned on even when you boot into bios the temp and fan steadily creep up to max. Everything used to work ok but no I've started to get really low frame rates in PUBG.

Anything else you need to know please ask.

Last edited:
I wonder if the pump is working.. you getting RPM readings from it (not the fans, the pump)? Can you feel it working? Something clearly isn't doing its thing if you are reaching 100C in the BIOS.

Did you update your BIOS on the mobo to the latest version? I know you said drivers...

That cooler looks a little puny to me for a 4770k, even at stock clocks. I'd encourage you to upgrade that component. How high were the temps? You never gave a number. And were these temps idle temps ("CPU load 8%")? What did you run your 6 hr. stress test with and what were the load temps? When you say "cfan" do you mean the radiator fan or the case fans?

Last edited:
I wonder if the pump is working.. you getting RPM readings from it (not the fans, the pump)? Can you feel it working? Something clearly isn't doing its thing if you are reaching 100C in the BIOS.

Did you update your BIOS on the mobo to the latest version? I know you said drivers...

The RPM reading from the bios and MSI command center software I have are around the 1700RPM mark (pretty much maxed out) This is taken from the Antec site directly "The fan's motor hubs also work as the coolant pumps, and the flow of the coolant is in direct proportion to the fan speed. So a higher fan speed directly translates to a higher coolant flow." It is vibrating and making noise as it usually would just steadily ramping up to max as soon as you boot.

I did have a look at updating my bios but it seems it is running the latest. The discrepancy from the MSI site and my bios was a few days (bios said the build was a few days before the last release which makes perfect sense)

That cooler looks a little puny to me for a 4770k, even at stock clocks. I'd encourage you to upgrade that component. How high were the temps? You never gave a number. And were these temps idle temps ("CPU load 8%")? What did you run your 6 hr. stress test with and what were the load temps? When you say "cfan" do you mean the radiator fan or the case fans?

Temps are pretty much always between 95 - 100`c
I built this rig around 5 years ago and always been happy with my temps. Usually idles around 35` and on load reaches max 80`. Now after booting and reaching an idle state the temps remain between 95-100` when the CPU usage is at 8%. I'd like to think it's just a software fault as it started after win 10 upgrade. I used Intel extreme tuning utility to run the stress test and it remained at 100`c for the whole test. also cfan was a typo I meant the CPU fan.

And Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is a very mild stress test. If you're actually getting temps that high with XTU then that isn't good. But this could be coincidence that the overheating problem started when you installed Windows 10. The first place I would look would be the cooler itself. The pump could have gone out or there is now air in the lines/radiator that is inhibiting flow. Water actually slowly evaporates from the rubber hoses and over time that causes air to build up and the flow to become erratic. You've had that AIO water cooler now for 5 years you said and that's about the lifespan of those things. With custom water loop you can get more longevity because you usually start with a higher quality pump and you also have the ability to add coolant as necessary.

Last edited:
And Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is a very mild stress test. If you're actually getting temps that high with XTU then that isn't good. But this could be coincidence that the overheating problem started when you installed Windows 10. The first place I would look would be the cooler itself. The pump could have gone out or there is now air in the lines/radiator that is inhibiting flow. Water actually slowly evaporates from the rubber hoses and over time that causes air to build up and the flow to become erratic. You've had that AIO water cooler now for 5 years you said and that's about the lifespan of those things. With custom water loop you can get more longevity because you usually start with a higher quality pump and you also have the ability to add coolant as necessary.

As much as I hate to say it I believe you may be right in saying it was coincidence with the pump going and win 10 update.

You've had that AIO water cooler now for 5 years you said and that's about the lifespan of those things.
I didn't realise their lifespan was so short. It's a shame I was hoping I wouldn't have to put money into this setup for a while longer, but I need to bite the bullet. Time to upgrade, 5 years is a long time. I did feel the cpu from the back of the mobo and it did actually feel really hot so maybe the temps aren't wrong. I've just started to unscrew the heat sink and the holding bolts from behind have chewed the plastic backplate. I won't be able to screw back in even if I wanted. So yeh lets go with the cooler upgrade. I don't have any experience with custom loops and don't think I'd be able to fit one in my current case. Any suggestions for either the best "bang for buck" AiO water cooler
or I don't mind going back to a traditional heatsink. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

It seems to me you'd be smarter to go with a top end air cooler. The top end air coolers cool approximately as good as a 240 water system and you now only have 120 water system. You don't have to worry about air locks or failed pumps like you do with water.

I'll give you two options:

1. Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo. This is a good but not top end air cooler but should cool as good as your current water system when it was working properly. Very popular and very economical. The most often recommended air cooler on this forum hands down.
2. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE4SN7971 More cooling power than #1 above.

The only potential issue is making sure you have enough clearance to the side panel to accommodate these tall tower style air coolers. What make and model is you case?

Last edited:
Temps are pretty much always between 95 - 100`c
I built this rig around 5 years ago and always been happy with my temps. Usually idles around 35` and on load reaches max 80`. Now after booting and reaching an idle state the temps remain between 95-100` when the CPU usage is at 8%. I'd like to think it's just a software fault as it started after win 10 upgrade. I used Intel extreme tuning utility to run the stress test and it remained at 100`c for the whole test. also cfan was a typo I meant the CPU fan.

hi I also have the same issue after the windows update not sure what to do about it, cooling are currently able to lower the water to 90c used to sit at 27c

V. Ree,

Please give us some details about your hardware.

I would check to see what your vcore is and if you are using water cooling I would check to see what the pump RPM is while in Windows.

Last edited:
Back