• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for DDR3 2x16GB RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LordLiverpool

Registered
Hi,

I have a 10-year-old PC that I purchased from Overclockers.

I was hoping to upgrade its RAM from 32GB to 64GB

My PC spec is:
  • MB-495-AS Asus P9X79 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard.
  • MY-143-KS Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB PC3-17100C11 2133MHz
    Dual Channel Kit (KHX21C11T3K4/32X).
It's not (4x8GB), but (2x16GB) that I have fitted.

I've looked high and low on the internet but I can't find this RAM.
I appreciate that DDR3 is getting old now.

But does anyone know where I might find some???

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

RAM.jpg

The reason you are struggling to find a match is two fold. First, this kit is not a 2x16(32GB) as you believe. It is actually a 2x8 (16GB) and was originally sold as a 4x8 (32GB) kit. So you only have half of the kit installed if you only have two sticks. Secondly, DDR3 is getting old and more difficult to find if you are looking for specific kits.

You can find the complete 4x8 (32GB) kit on ebay. If you're pushing this rig to the point of needing 64GB then you would greatly benefit from a complete rebuild as this system is quite old now. I understand this may not be in the budget. With that said there are 4x16 (64GB) kits available for about $130 out there and it seems your motherboard claims it can handle 64GB, though I doubt you truly need that much memory on this system.

Also worth noting, it wasn't our site you bought this from. That was Overclockers.uk, I'd imagine. :)

That said, we're happy to try and help.

@Blaylock

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.
You've perfectly summed up all my issues!

My Motherboard has 4 RAM slots. 2 are occupied.
Task Manager says I have 32GB installed
(See the image below).

I have my doubts about upgrading from 32GB to 64GB given the age of my PC.
I was always told that more RAM was the cheapest upgrade one could make to any PC.

Finding the correct DDR3 is proving difficult.
So I think I will bite the bullet and buy a new PC.

Task Manager.jpg
Post magically merged:

Also worth noting, it wasn't our site you bought this from. That was Overclockers.uk, I'd imagine. :)

That said, we're happy to try and help.
Doh! You're correct, thanks.

I was always told that more RAM was the cheapest upgrade one could make to any PC.
It is if you're actually using all of it or damn close to it. Otherwise, more won't help. ;)

So I think I will bite the bullet and buy a new PC.
I agree with this direction as well...

We're happy to help spec it out! Make a thread about that (list budget, uses, and any hold over parts) and we can assist.

BTW is there a particular Overclockerrs sub-forum I should post my new PC build on?
And I guess now would be a good time to jump to Overclockers UK?

BTW is there a particular Overclockerrs sub-forum I should post my new PC build on?
And I guess now would be a good time to jump to Overclockers UK?
Put the new thread in General Hardware - https://www.overclockers.com/forums/forums/general-hardware.8/

We have nothing to do with Overclockers.uk, friend. We're just helping piece together your build. Once you get a good list here, then go buy it at Overclockers.uk (or wherever you can get the parts cheaper). :)

Hi,

I have a 10-year-old PC that I purchased from Overclockers.

I was hoping to upgrade its RAM from 32GB to 64GB

My PC spec is:
  • MB-495-AS Asus P9X79 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard.
  • MY-143-KS Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB PC3-17100C11 2133MHz
    Dual Channel Kit (KHX21C11T3K4/32X).
It's not (4x8GB), but (2x16GB) that I have fitted.

I've looked high and low on the internet but I can't find this RAM.
I appreciate that DDR3 is getting old now.

But does anyone know where I might find some???

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

View attachment 365368
You could try eBay.

I agree with what has been said already. More RAM only helps if you are using 100% of what you have and you are not. 16GB is still a strong position to be in. 32GB is less helpful and 64GB... well, I don't know of anyone who truly gets benefit from that. YMMV. If you just game and browse, 16GB is more than enough.

Another issue I noticed in your screenshot. It does state that you have 32GB but it also says that you are using 4 of 8 slots. I'm not sure if I'm reading it wrong or what. But since you have transitioned into getting a new machine, the question is moot.

You can post both here and .uk and of course, we love to spec out new machines. Just follow the guidance that @EarthDog gave you and you should get quality responses that will help you be happy with whatever you buy.

Edit: When I looked up your listed MB, it has 8 slots not 4. You have a full 4 sticks x 8GB = 32GB You have four slots open. Not that it matters because everything else remains the same.

@don256us thanks for your help.
I'm confused too about the RAM.
I have 2 sticks of RAM and my PC says I have 32GB Installed.
I think the 16GB (KHX21C11T3K4/32X) was uncommon.
Thanks.

@don256us thanks for your help.
I'm confused too about the RAM.
I have 2 sticks of RAM and my PC says I have 32GB Installed.
I think the 16GB (KHX21C11T3K4/32X) was uncommon.
Thanks.
Look on both sides of your CPU. You have 4 slots on one side and 4 on the other. I suspect some are hidden by your heatsink/fan combo but I think you have two more sticks that you can't see. I think it's a happy surprise. Not sure if the old skt2011 was quad channel or dual channel. I suspect quad. Modern PCs are dual channel again but boy are they fast.

Look on both sides of your CPU. You have 4 slots on one side and 4 on the other. I suspect some are hidden by your heatsink/fan combo but I think you have two more sticks that you can't see. I think it's a happy surprise. Not sure if the old skt2011 was quad channel or dual channel. I suspect quad. Modern PCs are dual channel again but boy are they fast.

@don256us OMG sorry I am so stupid!
I opened my PC and took fresh photos.
I have 4 x 8GB installed. Doh!!!

Do you think my PC take more RAM in the other 4 slots?
All the blue slots are taken, is this what they call "paired" memory?

I was planning on giving my PC to my wife, as her laptop is creaking.
She uses Adobe Premiere Pro and it's very greedy on the RAM, Especially when "rendering" a video.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1
Do you think my PC take more RAM in the other 4 slots?
Yes. With the same exact memory or you'll likely have problems.

All the blue slots are taken, is this what they call "paired" memory?
It's how you're supposed to install them, yes. :)

I don't think the advice changes, honestly. Adding more RAM when it's not all being used (or very close to it), won't yield improvements... so make sure that when she's rendering a vid, that RAM use is actually almost at the limit.

Not sure if the old skt2011 was quad channel or dual channel.
HEDT platforms were quad channel.

@EarthDog OK thanks I appreciate the advice.
I will monitor the RAM usage over a few different renders.
I don't want to waste time/money buying RAM that isn't going to be utilized, thanks!

According to the PDF that @don256us kindly listed above:
My RAM should run at 2333MHz.

But when I go into the BIOS/UEFI it says it's running at 1333MHz.
Is this the correct speed or not?

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
That's showing the base speeds... what does Windows say your RAM is running at?

DL a program called CPUz and check the memory tab. Post the image like you did with above. :)

Windows Task Manager says 1333Mhz.
CPUz says 658.5Mhz.

I checked all the other tabs in the CPUz app but I couldn't find anything else of relevance.

Attachments

• 2024-03-15 11_52_28-Task Manager.jpg
    2024-03-15 11_52_28-Task Manager.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2024-03-15 11_56_43-CPU-Z.jpg
    2024-03-15 11_56_43-CPU-Z.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3
Windows Task Manager says 1333Mhz.
CPUz says 658.5Mhz.
So it's running at its base/JEDEC configuration (See SPD tab in CPUz... shows what the sticks run). CPUz reads the actual. It's DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM so, take that 658 and multiply by 2.

I checked all the other tabs in the CPUz app but I couldn't find anything else of relevance.
That's good. There's nothing else terribly relevant/why I asked specifically for this info. If you like, show the SPD tab, too, so we can see what the sticks are spec'd for

That said, enable XMP in your BIOS and it will run at 1333 (2666 DDR). Enabling that should make the system a bit snappier. ;)

@EarthDog It worked. See the new screenshots. You're a gem!

And to think all of this time I've been running at 50% :cry:
Oh well "There's no point in crying over split milk."

I will do some test renders and report back

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 2024-03-15 12_06_17-Task Manager.jpg
    2024-03-15 12_06_17-Task Manager.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2024-03-15 12_06_30-CPU-Z.jpg
    2024-03-15 12_06_30-CPU-Z.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
Back