• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for DDR3 2x16GB RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To clarify on the amount of RAM. My work just bought me a new machine to use Adobe Premier Pro. 64GB of RAM. I don't think I've even used half of that RAM. My company has a stardard PC they buy for folks who use Adobe Premier Pro and that's what I got. Too much RAM but it's a Dell prebuilt which I would never get for myself. So you could add more RAM but like @EarthDog states, it does not change the advice. You're heading in the right direction.

But... as @EarthDog also stated, you want to match any new RAM with the old RAM. Mixing and matching can work but it can also add levels of complexity and prevent the machine from working properly.

To clarify on the amount of RAM. My work just bought me a new machine to use Adobe Premier Pro. 64GB of RAM. I don't think I've even used half of that RAM. My company has a stardard PC they buy for folks who use Adobe Premier Pro and that's what I got. Too much RAM but it's a Dell prebuilt which I would never get for myself. So you could add more RAM but like @EarthDog states, it does not change the advice. You're heading in the right direction.

But... as @EarthDog also stated, you want to match any new RAM with the old RAM. Mixing and matching can work but it can also add levels of complexity and prevent the machine from working properly.
I am guessing your new PC is DDR5. whereas my old machine is DDR3.
How many times faster would DDR5 than DDR3? A ballpark figure? 2x 3x?

Out of interest how many SSD's does your work PC have?
I've found having at least one separate SSD exclusively for Premiere Pro makes a big difference.

I am guessing your new PC is DDR5. whereas my old machine is DDR3.
How many times faster would DDR5 than DDR3? A ballpark figure? 2x 3x?

Out of interest how many SSD's does your work PC have?
I've found having at least one separate SSD exclusively for Premiere Pro makes a big difference.
You are right. But so too is the CPU slower. May have some leveling out there. My work shut me out of looking at disk management but I'm certain that my OS is NVMe and my storage is HDD. I don't do a ton with Adobe Premier so I'm not an expert or anything. I can only report what I've experienced. Now that you've doubled the speed of your current RAM, do you feel a difference? I mean like, can you actually feel or sense the difference?

@don256us I understand, NVMe is great to have, it's on my wish list. And I appreciate it's impossible for us to compare setups.

My PC is much faster. swapping between windows is much faster.
Google Chrome is much quicker when swapping between tabs, especially when you're like me with 100+ tabs open at once! :D
Even the mouse point is smoother.

So thank you very much!

To be honest I use tab groups to try and keep it under control.

I work from home, I help my wife with her business, the kids with their homework, and of an evening, I'm studying for an MSc in AI. (Come on life!)
So 100+ tabs are the threads of my life branching off into the distance like a giant never-ending to-do list. :geek:

Back