• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about compatibility with PCI Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=HN=- Wild9

I currently have a geforce fx 5700, uses 8x agp. I am thinking about getting a new motherboard and i have had my eye on an Asus P5ad2-e Premium. Just wondering if my vid card is compatible with pci express, or is there something i can do, like flash the bios, to make it compatible. Thanks in advance for the help.

AGP and PCIe are incompatible. The bottom line is that if the board does not have an AGP slot then you cannot use an AGP card. There may be converters about but I dont know how they work or if they are available at all. Best bet is to sell that one and get a PCIe card.

Nandro said:
is no agp to pci-e converter as they use different voltages.

NVidia seems to have a perfectly functional PCIe to AGP converter on their 6x00 series AGP cards, so I see no reason why an AGP to PCIe adapter is impossible.

I would recommend the a Leadtek 6600 GT 256mb if you want to spend around $200. If you wanna spend more then that, there are lots of choices.

NVidia seems to have a perfectly functional PCIe to AGP converter on their 6x00 series AGP cards, so I see no reason why an AGP to PCIe adapter is impossible.
I didnt say it was impossible, just that there are none. NV's HSI bridge is a complicated and very technical piece of work. If it was simpler then ATI would have one out just to sell more cards. Unfortunatly there isnt anything like the NV agp bridge that someone can just buy.

Carnil said:

nVidia is using a flip chip, that can be put on a PCI or AGP type card.
saves on fab development.

anyway like what was said already, there is no adaptor and wont be.

mica

Asside from the chip I thought the NV cards were bridged and hence not native. Out of curiosity what does the flip chip have to do with the HSI bridge?

From PCP: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=92

Though the 6600GT GPU is actually a native PCI Express chip, NVIDIA is able to easily move it to the AGP format by using their HSI "bridge" chip, that converts PCIe signals to AGP and vise versa.

Back