• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700Pro recognized as a 9800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phosphoros

Registered
Holy Crap i just used the driver file given to me in that prompt where it says that my card is only using 4 pipelines and it has another 4 i can activate, and WOW! the performance in the 3d window has gone up dramatically (85fps -> 183fps). now i was wondering if someone could help me out with the overclocking question i asked about in my last reply. should i max the core speed or the memory speed? or should i try to balance them?

Last edited:
atitool is a nifty little proggy thatll tell you all that. the best way to tell tho is to pull the heatsink off the card and see what core you have. i doubt the drivers from ati would have anything to do with the card being recognized funky.

ok so on startup it told me that it was a 9800SE and that it was running on 4 pipelines but there were another 4 i could unlock (which is what a 9700pro is, 8 pieplines right?). so now i need to know what the clock speeds are for a 9700pro are, because mine is running at 324 core and 290.25 memory.

thanks a lot for the atitool btw, :D

ran the "find max core" for fun and discovered my max core (which was stable for about 10 minutes before i decided it was taking to long, it had already been running for like over half an hour >,<) was 397.8 / 289.8
how do i set it back to default, just set it back down, right?

and how do i go about overclocking it? do i max the core and see how high i can get mem, max mem and check core or try to keep it balanced?

btw its also recognizing 128MB/256-bit (with the 8 pipelines it found, that makes it a 9700Pro for sure, doesnt it?).

Attachments

• maxcore.JPG
    maxcore.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
If it recognizes it as a 9800 se then it is a 9800se, which is a 9800 pro (which as 8 pipelines) that has 4 of the 8 pipelines closed. So if you are able to open the remaining 4 pipelines then you have a 9800 pro not a 9700 pro, depending on clock speed. Now by the picture you have the clock speeds low, 9800 pro clock speeds are 380 core and 340 memory. Again it may be best to take off the heatsink to verify the core is a 9800 varient r350 or r360, but by the information provided you have a 9800se. Check out this guide to find out more about what i am babbling about:

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=101&var2=2

also can you tell us how the memory is setup on the card, is it the L shaped or is it in a line. If it is in a line then it is the 128 bit card and can not be modded to have all the pipelines.

on all built by ATI 9800PRO's, do you have to manual set the 8 pipeplines? i thought they come set automatically at 8pipes?? tell me i am right please... cause if not, then wow, now i know why my 9800pro wasnt running to great.

All 9800pros come from the factory with all 8 pipelines open. If they didn't, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it as a 9800pro since one of the requirements of that name is the 8 pipes :D The only cards you manually have to open pipes for are cards that you buy which are advertised as having 4 pipelines like the 9500 or 9800se (these cards are advertised by ATI to have 4 pipes, but in reality have 8 [though the 4 extra pipes have been disabled and are not garunteed to work even if you manually enable them]).

JigPu

Back