• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows like programs for linux, like defrag, scan disk, etc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

covana2244

Are there programs for linux that will scan the disk for errors, defrag, so my list of processes(like task manager)?

Also what is the best way to free up space on the harddrive?
Is there a cache or temp directory I can delete files from?
I am using Yoper.

Well you can free up about 300mb by uninstalling the kernel source now that you no longer need it. The temp directory is /tmp, but it usually keeps itself pretty clean. Defragging is not really necessary on linux partitions unless you start filling up up over 90% capacity. They just don't get fragemented the way windows filesystems do. Disk checking usually happens at boot if there was an improper shutdown, or every so many boots. Also, anything you install with apt-get will be kept in /var/cache/apt/archives. You can clean this out with

apt-get clean

is the command for a task manager. press q to quit

The things loading at bootup are shortcuts in the /etc/rc5.d directory.
Post what you get from-
ls /etc/rc5.d

and I can tell you what most of them do and you can decide if you need them running or not (sort of like disabling services in windows)

Last edited:
for checking for errors you will use smartmontools and badblocks.
The defrag program depends on the filesystem you use, nost have one however. For displaying running processes, use "ps", "ps aux" and "top". To stop a process, use "kill" and "killall"

Insofar as it checks the filesystem for inconsistencies, yes. But badblocks checks each sector for if it is error free and can be read/written. Since Linux has almost only journalled silesystems by now, you very rarely if ever need to run fsck.

Back