• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those having trouble getting past 230ish on neo plat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rumrunner

Today was a wonderful day for me after someone dropped a little tip on me concerning my SATA ports. I am not exactly sure why but SATA ports 1 & 2 dramatically hinder overclocking capabilities on the MSI Neo Plat. Before I switched to ports 3 & 4, I couldn't get past 230 x 10. Then after the switch, I hit 280 x9 , pretty easily with 1.46 vcore. :clap:

Neo2 or Neo4 ? interesting results... I am curious if this has consistency with other users as well... glad to see you got your OC crankin!!

LuckMan212 said:
Neo2 or Neo4 ? interesting results... I am curious if this has consistency with other users as well... glad to see you got your OC crankin!!

oh, sry, Neo2

Yes and if you can get higher while still on ports 1&2 you can look forward to some lovely HD data corruption. This is covered in the Neo2 sticky.

Sorry for flaming but is it hard to read guides what people wrotes? This same thing is on my Neo2 guide and guides are done to help people and stop these *senseless* threads.

Easy bro not everyone uses the search engine, and I for one *HATE* instruction manuals. :p

I know some of peoples hate manuals (I hate 'em by myself too), but I personally do not refer guide as manual, and honestly TimoneX, what's your opinion about this thread since this is an old known thing that SATA-ports 1 & 2 aren't directly connected to chipset so AGP/PCI-lock as no affect on them.

I think they're pretty slow to the party and are lucky they didn't frag a whole lot of data. :)

Just the same there are bound to be many many more neo2 owners that haven't a clue they're heading for trouble using those ports.

Hi, I am having some issues. I though that the SATA 3+4 was by the cpu, but I cant change my fsb even to 208.

Im running a winchester 3200 64 on a new2 plat, and everything is stock. I dont know where I can find this 10 multiplier and such.
In windows I can change the fsb all the way to 207 before it freezes.
In bios I can change it to 210 but it only boots up (not to windows just to see the bios screen)

I have my 2 512 ram in the first to slots closest to CPU,
(RAM = Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 )
and 1 SATA 10,000 rpm 36 GB plugged in right under the CPU.

Whats going on? Is my sata on the wrong one? Is my ram in the wrong one? Please say yes.

Ok I have two computers so I can type out what I have in my bios right now :0).
V1.5BX Bios
DRAM Configuration ---
Max Memclock (Mhz) = Auto (starts up with 200)
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T
CAS# Latency (Tcl) = 2.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) = Auto
Min RAS# active time (Tras) = Auto
Row Precharge Time (Trp) = Auto

High Performance Mode = Manual
Aggressive timing = Disabled
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
HT Frequency = 5x
Cool 'n' Quiet = Disabled
Adjust CPU Ratio = StartUP
Adjust Cpu FSB Frequency = 205
Adjust AGP Frequency = 67
Adjust CPU VID = 1.500v
CPU Voltage = By CPU VID
Memory Voltage = AUTO
AGP Voltage 1.50 V

On boot up it says Memory information: DDR 400 Dual Channel, 128-bitMemory Clock is : 205 MHz
Tcl:2 Trcd:3 Tras:8 Trp:3 (1T Timing)

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that's the biggest problem he is having with his over-clock... I would say bump up your memory voltage, and maybe decrease the timings to 2.5-3-3 10 and see how high you can get which probably won't be that high, and then use a divider.

WOW !
ok so I changed my HT Frequency to 4x and made my ram 2.5 auto auto auto auto and its still t1 hehe, and my memory voltage 2.60. Right now I did auto overclock on core center and its at 223. I stopped it because I got scared.

So where did I loose performance at lowering my HT Frequency down to 4x? Between the ram and CPU?

Do I need to raise up my cpu voltage about now?

UPDATE :: 3200 64 223 MHz x 10.0
FSB 223
Vcore 1.50
Memory Voltage
Agp Voltage 1.50

Prime95 Benchmark Change
STOCK 2000 MHz

Best time for 384K FFT length: 21.021 ms.
Best time for 448K FFT length: 25.200 ms.
Best time for 512K FFT length: 28.186 ms.
Best time for 640K FFT length: 35.424 ms.
Best time for 768K FFT length: 43.083 ms.
Best time for 896K FFT length: 51.894 ms.
Best time for 1024K FFT length: 58.196 ms.
Best time for 1280K FFT length: 77.703 ms.
Best time for 1536K FFT length: 92.983 ms.
Best time for 1792K FFT length: 112.419 ms.
Best time for 2048K FFT length: 126.368 ms.

OVERCLOCKED 2230

Best time for 384K FFT length: 19.350 ms.
Best time for 448K FFT length: 23.090 ms.
Best time for 512K FFT length: 25.975 ms.
Best time for 640K FFT length: 32.727 ms.
Best time for 768K FFT length: 39.765 ms.
Best time for 896K FFT length: 47.936 ms.
Best time for 1024K FFT length: 53.800 ms.
Best time for 1280K FFT length: 71.904 ms.
Best time for 1536K FFT length: 85.890 ms.
Best time for 1792K FFT length: 103.812 ms.
Best time for 2048K FFT length: 116.956 ms.

UPDATE : :
Why are my temps so much lower now?!?!
Im idle 32 C, Full load 46 C Now.
I was Idle 42 C, and Full load 58 C.

Yet again this scares me. Im over clocked at im cooler?
I think my computer is drunk or high. :beer:

Last edited:
Hi just another update. What did lowering my HT Frequency to 4X do?
Becuase now I can over clock like no other. I feel like something may be wrong?

Review::
I have winchester 3200 64
Stock runs at 2009 MHz

Right now I have it at 2349 MHz
So 235 MHz X 10.0

Settings ::
FSB 235
Vcore 1.55
Memory Voltage 2.60
AGP Voltage 1.50
HT Frequency 4x (instead of stock 5x)
And again my temps are COOLER then stock .... I am in complete confusion. :eek: Any ideas?

Well done! This is not an unusual result however and there's nothing wrong. The Hypertransport bus is designed to operate at 1000Mhz on the nForce3 ultra. So on a 3200+ winchester such as yours it defaults to 200x5. This means that by leaving it at 5x and increasing the HT frequency you're exceeding this 1000Mhz specification. This is fine for a few Mhz over 200, but eventually you'll reach your MBs limit and things will become unstable. Lowering it to 4x means that at 235Mhz your HTT is running at 940Mhz(235x4). If you can get your HT frequency up to 250Mhz you'll be right back to the default 1000Mhz(250x4). It's not of particular import however as there's little or no penalty to be paid for running the hypertransport bus below 1000Mhz.

WOW ok thanks! I feel very happy right now! I must say there would be no way I could have done any of this without all the peoples help from the OC forums. I just want to say thanks. All of you were very nice and helpfull.

One last question, I have my Vcore set to 1.55 but Core Center says that the Vcore is 1.44v to 1.42v. At what FSB should I turn it up. Also the ram voltage? Or is it from now on just kinda trial and error?

Again thanks! I'm all giddy like a school girl! :bday:

Last edited:
Zebbo said:
Sorry for flaming but is it hard to read guides what people wrotes? This same thing is on my Neo2 guide and guides are done to help people and stop these *senseless* threads.

Beep

Last edited:
? Oh I see thats a response to above. :0)

Ok I can almost get to 250 so that its back to normal HT. I can get to 240 FSB. making it 2400 MHz. Thats so much more then stock. I wish I would have bought a 3500, then I would be around 2600.

I cant set it any higher then 244 becuase it wont even boot up and I have to reset the bios. Hehe that took a few mins to lookup and find. :0)

But anyways. What do you think I should upgrade first to get past this problem? Or is this really not a problem and I should just be happy with my free 400 MHz?

I noticed my Vcore is 1.43-1.44v, and my 3.3V is 3.02v. My +5 is 5.13, and my +12 is 12.36.

I have a somewhat old power max 400 W Max. For sure not a true power power supply.

I was thinking of maybe turning my HT frequency down to 3x but then even if I did get to 250 I would only have a HT of 750, and a CPU speed of 2500 MHz.

I think my ram is ok. But maybe I will try and loosen it up a bit. Right now its 2.5, 3, 8, 3 T1. What would you recommend? 2 X 512 Kingston HyperX is what they are.

Also last thing, is it ok that I dont have an NB temp? I have an NB Fan Speed at 5400, but my NB Temp is N/A. :beer:

Have a good day. :)

Last edited:
TweakGames said:
? Oh I see thats a response to above. :0)

Ok I can almost get to 250 so that its back to normal HT. I can get to 240 FSB. making it 2400 MHz. Thats so much more then stock. I wish I would have bought a 3500, then I would be around 2600.

Not necessarily, a higher default speed doesn't always equate to a higher overclocked speed.

TweakGames said:
I cant set it any higher then 244 becuase it wont even boot up and I have to reset the bios. Hehe that took a few mins to lookup and find. :0)

Sounds like you've reached the point where people generally start increasing vcore. This is where the risks & heat enter the equation.

TweakGames said:
But anyways. What do you think I should upgrade first to get past this problem? Or is this really not a problem and I should just be happy with my free 400 MHz?

Well free speed is the best speed. :) Before you go spending any money to get more speed(which would no longer be free speed incidentally) you should exhaust your options here. I believe it would be a good idea to leave it where it is for a few days to a week. See if you experience any stability or heat issues there.

TweakGames said:
I noticed my Vcore is 1.43-1.44v, and my 3.3V is 3.02v. My +5 is 5.13, and my +12 is 12.36.

I have a somewhat old power max 400 W Max. For sure not a true power power supply.

That's a rather low 3.3v reading. See how that looks under full load with the use of motherboard monitor, speedfan...etc.

TweakGames said:
I was thinking of maybe turning my HT frequency down to 3x but then even if I did get to 250 I would only have a HT of 750, and a CPU speed of 2500 MHz.

This will not be beneficial in any way I'm aware of. You shouldn't have any reason to drop your HT multiplyer untill you exceed 255Mhz or more and even then you could probably get away with more.

TweakGames said:
I think my ram is ok. But maybe I will try and loosen it up a bit. Right now its 2.5, 3, 8, 3 T1. What would you recommend? 2 X 512 Kingston HyperX is what they are.

I assume you have the 166 memclocklock engaged? This would put your memory speed at 199Mhz(DDR398). You should have more leeway with those timings if that's the case.

TweakGames said:
Also last thing, is it ok that I dont have an NB temp? I have an NB Fan Speed at 5400, but my NB Temp is N/A. :beer:

Have a good day. :)

Nah I don't get a NB temp reading either.

Hmmm ok I will try the lower ram speed, currently I have it at the stock pc3200. I donno what speed that means sorry. :-/

Back