• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which brand is better? BFG or XFX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Audio if it was me i would go with the XFX....providing that the XFX is 2nd gen with the 1.6ns mem....from doing alittle looking the BFG comes with 2.0ns.

9mmCensor said:
What about eVGA? I heard those were good for 6600s.

9mm i would recommend the extreme(i think thats the ones with 1.6ns mem) but why spend the 50 bucks more when the XFX's come with the 1.6ns for normal pricing ;)

9mmCensor said:
What about eVGA? I heard those were good for 6600s.
Do they have dual DVI? That's a must have for me.

This might be the final extra that could seal the deal:

Geoff Gasior of Tech Reports said:
Video signal quality
We tested the video signal quality of each card's video outputs with a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB 19" monitor at an 85Hz refresh rate. We used the bundled DVI-to-VGA adapters to test the BFG and XFX cards' outputs, and a spare Matrox DVI-to-VGA adapter to test the Albatron card's secondary output.

Overall, the BFG card's signal quality was impeccable through all resolutions and across both outputs, although 1600x1200 only looks so good on a 19" monitor. The XFX card's primary output matched the BFG card's signal quality exactly, but the secondary output blurred text just a little at 1600x1200.

Unfortunately, the Albatron card's signal quality isn't up to par with the BFG and XFX cards. With its primary VGA output, 1024x768 is golden, but things start to get a little bit fuzzy at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. Interestingly, 1280x1024 looks just fine with the card's secondary DVI output piped through a DVI-to-VGA adapter. However, the secondary output suffers from the same slight fuzziness as the XFX card's secondary output at 1600x1200.

Despairl said:
9mm i would recommend the extreme(i think thats the ones with 1.6ns mem) but why spend the 50 bucks more when the XFX's come with the 1.6ns for normal pricing ;)
I heard that XFX started with 1.6ns memory but has since cut back to 2.0ns in recent production runs.

not true, right now i'm running dual 21" CRT's both res set at 1600x1200.....i haven't seen any problems as of yet....crisp and clean.... :)

Audioaficionado said:
I heard that XFX started with 1.6ns memory but has since cut back to 2.0ns in recent production runs.

This is partly true....but they switched back due to the fact cost of the cards only went up $20....which is why the XFX cards raised in price about 1 month ago :)

/me flips quarter in air...

I'm running a few errands in town and I'll be back to decide in a bit.

Any more comments and advice about GF 6600GT XFX vs BFG are welcome.

yea i mean i don't mean to confuse u....but the decision is yours... :attn: but i'm sure which ever u pick will work out good... :burn:

I'm not confused at all. I have to balance the features and cost of both cards and make a decision. I've heard some bad things about XFX but nothing that would scare me from buying it. The BFG is solid and has a good rep but it is $65 more compared to the XFX. Both are at the top of the heap when it comes to dual DVI + HDTV/S-Video 6600GT cards. The BFG has a better cooler but I can put a Vantek on the XFX and still save $30. The Vantec is almost silent and would be more quiet than any stock cooler.

Audioaficionado said:
I'm not confused at all. I have to balance the features and cost of both cards and make a decision. I've heard some bad things about XFX but nothing that would scare me from buying it. The BFG is solid and has a good rep but it is $65 more compared to the XFX. Both are at the top of the heap when it comes to dual DVI + HDTV/S-Video 6600GT cards. The BFG has a better cooler but I can put a Vantek on the XFX and still save $30. The Vantec is almost silent and would be more quiet than any stock cooler.

very true that stock XFX cooler sounded like a blender when i was using it...i was like OMG :eek:

reading from the other post i could help u with a dual PSU setup, where u keep both setups completely seperate from eachother....all u need to do is flip another switch

Well I've pulled the trigger and the deal is done.

I went with the XFX + Zalman Cu GPU cooler at ZipZoomFly.com :thup:

I was going to go for the BFG but they ran out of stock yesterday while I was flipping quarters :eh?:

No biggie because now I'll have a cooler and quieter card than the BGF and for $30 less. I should get it mid week :clap:

That 6800U would have been fun but I'd need to invest even more to power my already power hungry Xeon duallie and still keep it quiet enough. I don't want anymore dustbusters in my computers. Besides it was going to be an additional $200 out of pocket that I just can't swing right now.

Thanks for the advice guys.

He used a Zalman vf-700cu HSF, which is the samething i'm using....and it works really nice

Back