• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seasonic Prime PX Series 1300W...... Any objections?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rothschild

Registered
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Seasonic Prime PX Series 1300W for a good price, will I be ok? Man looks really nice too that's a bonus.

I was also looking at the Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 Series 1200W & the only Corsair available right now locally is the Corsair AX1600i, I mean 1600W is a lot of Wattage but if most of you easily recommend it over this Seasonic Prime PX for some reason such as better quality build/parts etc then I'll just go for that. Not really worried about Single Rail/Multi Rail switching or digital controls/software etc either.

It's like which ever one I read consumer reviews of wether it be Amazon or NewEgg, there's those few ugly stories for all of these models so can't win really. I've also read a few normal reviews & they all check out good but there's isn't that many reviews done on this exact model that I can find anyways. Does OC's.com have a review of the Seasonic Prime PX series?

Could someone please confirm if these Seasonic PSU cables would work ok with a Prime PX ? Don't really like the stock cables of this PSU, the whole ribbon style. Not sure if that list just hasn't been updated or if they actually wouldn't support the Prime PX series, I'm pretty sure they're actually Seasonic brand cables, that's what it says anyways :::

https://www.tech4u.com.au/seasonic-...sonic-power-p651556.html?browse_by=categories

I mean I know Seasonic recommends not to use aftermarket/modded cables or different PSU brand cables & to only use their cables which come packaged with the PSU but these cables I linked are Seasonic brand (I think?) but not sure if they support the Prime PX series. I don't think too many people are paying attention to this recommendation considering how much custom PSU cables I've seen in people's systems ranging in all the colors of the rainbow :)

Also PLEASE don't give the lecture of You don't even need 1300W you'll be fine with 600W etc. Like honestly I appreciate your concern in advance & thank you but really it's ok. + I can get a very good price for this Prime PX 1300W here locally. Hopefully if it's any forum I can get away from that it's this one :)

So yea lock it in? EarthDog hit me!

Appreciate your time.

We're overclockers, but we're also looking out for our users. I am curious why you insist...like what does it do for you considering it doesn't help the machine? But its your money soooo...ill leave it at that. :thup:

Anyhoo, I'd email seasonic and ask about the cables. They SHOULD work, but, you need to be 100% on this before buying.

As far as quality, of those you listed, they are about the same.

EarthDog! Thanks for your reply. Noooooooo did you go there?! Sorry I should of been more clear. I'm not just randomly buying a PSU to improve on mine or anything... I literally need one for my new z690 PC, I gave my recently bought z590 PC to my brother.

Intel 12900K.
3090 OC.
8 drives M.2's + 3.5" IDE's.
All USB ports used including internal connectors..some for charging.
Thunderbolt 4 card which has it's own PCI Express power connectors.

Surely 1300's not too overkill considering ASUS recommends 850 for their 3090OC. Anyways I appreciate yous looking out for your users!

Ok I'll confirm with Seasonic about the cables, just thought someone here might have them & know already.

Does Seasonic make the Corsair ax1600i PSU's?

As far as quality, of those you listed, they are about the same.

Does that quality mean excellent quality or just average quality?
What's your current favourite PSU EarthDog?

Thanks.

Surely 1300's not too overkill considering ASUS recommends 850 for their 3090OC.
lol, yes it is. The 850w value already builds in headroom. If you want overkill, go 1KW. If you want to be downright wasteful with your money, go higher than that. Either way, we'll help, lol.:)

My power supply actually just crapped out. I ordered an 750W Seasonic Prime TX-750 that was on sale for $150. It replaces a several year old 750W powering a watercoooed and overclocked i9-11900k and a 3080ti.

I'm not sure who the oem is on the 1600W unit. Thise you listed are high quality.

lol, yes it is. The 850w value already builds in headroom. If you want overkill, go 1KW. If you want to be downright wasteful with your money, go higher than that. Either way, we'll help, lol.

My power supply actually just crapped out. I ordered an 750W Seasonic Prime TX-750 that was on sale for $150. It replaces a several year old 750W powering a watercoooed and overclocked i9-11900k and a 3080ti.

I'm not sure who the oem is on the 1600W unit. Thise you listed are high quality.

Thanks for taking the time to reply EarthDog.

Rothschild, be sure to print a sticker saying "Nov 2033" and put it on the PSU to remind you of the warranty expiration. :)

Happy to help. Let us know what Seasonic says and what PSU you end up with. :D

I'll let you know what Seasonic says but I'm not telling you what PSU I end up with LOL! You scare me.

JLK03F150
Rothschild, be sure to print a sticker saying "Nov 2033" and put it on the PSU to remind you of the warranty expiration.

:D:D:D Good idea! 12 years ha? That's ridiculous, 2033 ffs doesn't even sound right!

Something tells me I'd have bought another 3 PSU's by 2033 with EarthDog smashing me for doing so because it's still working fine ;)

You scare me.
I don't mean to.. lol

At the risk of scaring you more....It just dawned on me... your asus comment. If you believe that 850W reccomendation was just for the gpu, I can see why you think you would want 1300W. But that's for the entire system. It's a 325W gpu.. yours a bit more since it's an OC version. If you knew that already... carry on. :rofl:

850W is recommended for the whole PC (assuming you are using a single GPU). It's also because not all people buy 80+ Gold/Platinum/Titanium units. A typical, pretty average or below average 850W 80+ (nothing) or Bronze PSU is like a good 600-650W unit. If you buy high quality, 1300W 80+ Platinum PSU, then it's like in the specs was recommended to buy 1.8kW cheap unit ;)
This is maybe my translation to the general specs but in real it looks similar.

I was running RX6800XT (also 850W recommended) + i7 11700K on Corsair SF600 so 600W 80+ Platinum PSU and there were no issues in 3 months 24/7 work. When I wasn't playing games then the PC was mining BTC. This is only an example.

On the other hand, I found out that 1200W units with ~500-600W hardware run passively almost all the time. I have a 1200W Corsair PSU which is clean after 4 years of work. Quiet, cool, and clean. Still, I wouldn't buy it if not the 70% price cut.

Uh, yeah. I think the GPU manufacturers overestimate the PSU requirements for some computers.

For instance I've got an RTX 3070 in a system right now with a 650W 80+ Gold PSU, and the full system draws 425W max at load while gaming (highest I've seen). I think the manufacturer recommendation is 750W though. And the PSU fan basically never turns on (it's one of those silent running PSU's that go up to a certain wattage until the fan comes on).

I've run dual GTX 780 Ti's (which are 250W each) on that same PSU, and only pulled 575 Watts. I DON'T recommend doing that, mind you as it was very close to the rated max.

But yes, with 1300 Watts you will have way more headroom on the Power Supply side than you'll likely ever need with a single GPU system. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear that, but I felt I had to say it.

Hey all thanks for replying, & for your Captain Planet lectures! Jokes :) Appreciated!

Yea look I know when ASUS recommends 850 minimum for this card they mean the whole PC & they over-do their numbers, I just thought I'd mention it woah what a mistake lol! I got decked :p

I'm from the modular synthesis world, you know? ****loads of Eurorack modules, mostly analog. I'm used to just buying power supply setups/distribution where I know it's more than enough & comfortable, can throw whatever future modules in & never have to even worry/calculate, & not working my power supplies to anywhere near their capacity = less temperatures = less heat due to heaps of headroom bla bla but you already know that story :) But yes the PC world's different.

Keep in mind my post I did say I can get it for a good price which is really why I considered it so that's a factor also as I was going to go for the 1000W originally which yes I know that's overkill too but it's only 150W more than the 850W, criky! From the PC store that I have store credit in, the 1300W is only going to be $35 U.S more than the 1000W so it's ok, I'm not dying financially + the 1000W is not currently in stock & it's literally the last piece of my new PC, I need it now.

Cheerz again for your inputs! I wanted to know if the Seasonic Prime PX's are considered a high quality PSU & I feel confident goin with Seasonic now, as I haven't bought a PC PSU in YEARS.

EarthDog, Seasonic got back to me about those cables I linked ::

Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

Well, first of all we do not sell any of our cables as accessories. Now this said, the compatibility and pictures are not matching as these cables on the pictures are for older models like first X-Series for example. As well, they put a compatibility list that is not good as M12 500 cables are different than current ones. So if you can contact the seller to make sure, that would be better. Maybe they have different set depending of your PSU.

For cables, we would either recommend to contact our local distributor to have the same as the ones provided or you can indeed use Cablemod cables as they have compatible sets for our PSU's.

The shop does say their cables pic is for illustrative purposes only & to let them know the exact PSU model when ordering but WTF lol! That store clearly labels them as Seasonic brand but I guess they're not. Also why doesn't that cable pack include a 24-pin Mobo connector? Bah at $25 U.S I mean should I trust that cable quality at that low price? I might just stick with the included cables for now then, maybe later I'll CableMod it. Just not a fan of the ribbony kind of cables packaged with it.

Thanks!

Back