• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Near miss....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Some how my watercooling pumps wires came disconnected and while my computer finished booting and while I was checking email I noticed the problem in the loop. Oh #@%! the H2O started to bubble. Even the tygon tubing was hot and soft to the touch. I turned the pc off immediately, and disconnected the power leads from the psu to mobo. Touched the tdx and that was very hot. I jumped the psu with just the pump on to cool off the processor. Waited 10 minutes and tried to boot. I was successful with the boot and everything seems ok. Temps seem to be about 2 degrees higher than before. I overclocked the cpu to what it was before with no problem and with auto vcore. Has anyone had a similar situation and could any damage have occured to my prescott?

You may, or may not, have substantial damage. The only way, that I know of, to check is to compare benchmarks. So, if you ran benchmarks when you first installed it, run them again and see how different they are now. If you didn't, run them now and compare to reference standards--that'll at least give you an idea of how your chip compares. Some Prescotts run very close to their thermal limits. When that limit is passed the chip starts to degrade and will eventually fry. Since yours is still working it didn't fry, but.... Take a look at this article for details. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html

FWIW, I'm actually amazed that it still works. Water boils at 100C so if it was starting to bubble it had to be close. That's a lot of heat.

the chips survive 100c, even athlons.
too much over it and it's a goner. boiling helps it to keep it that stable max temp though.

just follow it for couple of weeks..

I had a similar experience. My water pump went on an unscheduled holiday and since it's in another room it's failure wasn't readily apparent. I was doing memory testing at the time and began getting thousands of errors. Rebooting then brought about long beeps(memory initialization errors). After swapping out five dimms and getting the same result I requested an RMA for the motherboard(later cancelled) before realizing the CPU was just overheating. DUH.

Everything has been just fine since, though I still don't know what caused the pump to take some time off which is cause for concern.

You'll probably want to redo your thermal paste, I'd imagine it dried out pretty well.

well I cleaned cpu and wb off and reapplied artic silver 5. ran sisoft benchmarks and they appear the same. went into bios and set cpu temp warning. all seems ok for now guess I will have to keep track of it.

I believe they do but I didnt have cpu thermal warning set in bios. Well I have thermal warning set now and I believe my cpu is ok. the temps and overclock are the same with auto vcore settings still and it passed prime 95 for 5 hours so far.

Yea, My understanding is the only way to kill a Presscott core P4 is to turn it on w/o heatsinc on it. I saw a post a while back(on this forum.. someware) where sombody had the fan on their HS and the P4 skiped enough cycles that he had time to look inside the pc to see the fan was bad before turning it off. And, if I recall correctly, the system still ran fine after that.

what a relief. causes quite a scare when you see bubbles in your loop due to pump not coming on. well I am going to solder the connections from power supply to pump instead of relying on the pin connectors now. well guess i will just hope for the best and pray that there was no long term degrading of chip in future. This is a great processor was able to achieve over 4ghz with just vcore set to auto and dram frequency set to auto. Posted over 4ghz with just 3:2 dividers. will be selling my memory and getting some ocz 4400 gold edition to try to achieve 1:1.

Well I have already had a few near death experiences so this was nothing compared to that. Just would have really sucked to have to turn around and explain to the wife why I need another processor when she already cant stand the money I spend on computers, lol:) "Hey honey, I decided to see if my pressy could boil H20". Well at least I can upgrade my memory instead of buying another processor and memory.

Last edited:
Wives they just never understand. Mine sees the computer gear on the CC statement and has a mini-fit, but pays it no mind when I sell off numerous systems in a week for a healthy profit. :p

Womenz!

Yeah it is wierd how women can be. My wife spends a lot on clothes, shoes, purses, makeup, hair, and nails. My expenses are just mainly body building related and my computer hobby along with a few other toys. So it all even outs in the end.

LOL

So true brotha man! When the wife nags me about my computer &/or car toys I just gesture in the general direction of her shoe CLOSET and mumble something about the poor resale value of used pumps. :p

Back