• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding the Beowulf Cluster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King Warg²

ok like i said i have this rather powerful beowulf sitting around with no use at all, so what better use than to give it some folding to do :attn: the front end machine runs redhat linux 6.2 with scyld beowulfing software. i plan to have at least 15 machines running on the beowulf.

can anyone give some tips to get the beowulf folding?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

AND WELCOME TO TEAM32!!!!

being as how i am the one that introduced you to the forums, it pleases me greatly that you want to help out. however, you know me well enough to know that linux is not my strongsuit... however, i'm sure some of the ohters here will be more than happy to help out.

currently there is no support for cluster folding so basically each CPU has to run it's own client.

There is currently a linux (knoppix based) version designed for folding that you can find here.

http://overclockix.octeams.com/

You can set it up so you only need one HD and all the rest of your clients network boot off of it so you only need one HD.

Too bad there is no cluster support :(

I'm not familiar with linux but there is a linux version thats normal, PM Arkaine23 about it, he is probably the person here that is most familiar with linux I would think. You can probably get it to run on redhat, I just don't know how cause I've only used that one linux distro

what if he used that one that is made to boot off of cd, and run folding at home, and then linked them to the cluster head? would it work?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS?

Spec on the machines?

Yeah you should be able to run it off CDs, and leave the cluster install intact, to revive when a cluster edition of F@H which I belive is in the works is complete.

hmm... 9mm... kingwarg is a good friend of mine (and has been for years). he's had the cluster for a while, but nothing to use it on. if there is any way he can get it running and folding, he'd finally have a way to justify having that many pc's hooked up together in his basement. LOL.

Hmm....
The others are right, the only effective way to run F@H with your cluster would be to set it up in a "farm" setup. As all your rigs have internet I assume, you could just run them independently, although this would be a pain. Since they're networked, I'm sure you could just run them as a server-client setup.

For anybody wanting to know more about clusters, you can go here:
www.beowulf.org

I'm not sure if anybody has looked at it at all, but it has some information for those wanting it.
What are the specs of the cluster nodes?
I wanted to setup a cluster for folding, but I didn't know how it would work. All of the nodes would have been too old to fold effectively by themselves.

King Warg² said:
my nodes are partly HP vectra's @ 233MHz, i will be adding some P2 333MHz - 400MHz machines and a few p3's and AMD athlons @ 500MHz - 1.2GHz

The 233's might not finish in time, so you should fold the 'no deadlines' on them, at least until the cluster version of FAH is complete.

Hmmm interesting project you've got there. I didn't think beowulfs coped too well with asymmetric CPU power, i.e. not having everything the same speed. But last time I looked into it was a couple of years ago, so dunno if they've figured a way round that now. I was thinking of making a baby beo with half a dozen 500Mhz K6-2machines. Dunno if I'll ever get round to it though. I can't think of what the heck I'd use it for :D

Seven said:
They have a cluster version coming out?
*me buys rack w/ 10 layers of Xeon goodness*

9mmCensor said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS?

Spec on the machines?

Yeah you should be able to run it off CDs, and leave the cluster install intact, to revive when a cluster edition of F@H which I belive is in the works is complete.

I don't know, I just caught that part 9mmCensor posted...

Back