• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3DMark05 scores from XP retail to SP2...interesting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So because I was curious, I ran a bench of 05 before I updated to SP2 on my new system. With everything updated except SP2, I got 4570 (non SLI). I proceded to install SP2 and then I benched again. Guess what? 4569. Cool. Guess it really is all about the drivers.

He is saying that XP SP2 didn't change anything in the way his system preformed. Drivers are what matters.

I don't think 1 point is enough to justify whether SP2 really slowed down the system. Although imo it might.

Westline said:
He is saying that XP SP2 didn't change anything in the way his system preformed. Drivers are what matters.
Well yea. Not much happens between service packs. Change platforms to 2k and you will see a sizable gain.

lmao, who said SP2 slowed down your system? I'm using it since it was released and have not experienced any slowdown. As long as u don't forget to turn off all the security center crap I think there should not be anything slower.

I never had a problem with Sp2, and I agree with the results of the thread starters experiment. I"m also glad to hear about experiments as thats how we learn things about what performs and what doesn't.

I would imagine they would not release it if it decreased performance without a sufficient reason so that there wouldn't be community splits in as far as how different types of people update thier computers.

Kinda like if a new patch comes out for a game and the patch sucks you get all kinds of older version multiplayer servers running... its bad for communities so microsoft would probably seriously want to avoid that. Although its not the same exactly I"m sure everybody can understand why microsoft wants people to accept thier updates.. it improves thier security track record etc

I guess the thing we have to remember though is that windows xp has a kernel just like other OS's and then it has a buncha programs and tools and drivers that plug into that kernel & I doubt windows xp kernel has really changed significantly since its release, except for security updates to the kernel itself and to the base of the operating system. Usually newer versions of kernels don't really ever go slower than the previous versions. DirectX has changed quite a bit but ya have to think that for linux users open gl has changed in exactly the same manner. The library programs being rewritten to take advantage of new hardware features is really the place where we see performance gains in the new programs that rely upon these functions. OH yes and the drivers as you mentioned are very very important to the performance of your hardware.

Last edited:
Why not? Performance issues never stoped microsoft from releasing patches bfr. Remember that patch that slowed state-of-the-art systems down to a crawl?

SP2 is fine ...but only if you promptly turn off windows firewall...that things theory is if it doesnt let any internet activity in or out you cant get hacked....its like unplugging you connection...(ok alittle overboard) but U get my point

2 people I know swear death to SP2 which is so funnny because I just Net send them and lag them...they could disable it but there dumbasses.

and personally the windows movie maker is somewhat usefull in SP2 aswell...

I think the firewall is great, just turn it off when installing. But what should be off.... period....is Windows update.

hadn't notice any benchmark changes either with SP2. Besides who gets a consistant or identical score.

El<(')>Maxi said:
For benching or 24/7? If it's the latter then you don't know what your talking about.

Is there something you wanna add to the group discussion?

LoneWolf121188 said:
(this is off topic, but anyway) why not keep your computer up to date? Sure its slow to update, but its better than not fixing security holes and the like.

Say you set to automatic update, I will have to specify time and day to check for updates. I'm almost never keep my computer on only when I game. I hate when a windows update kick me off a serious night of gaming for just to update windows.

No matter what setting until its off, update will notify you. Don't you hate that...?

but as far as security...I'll do that on my own. I doubt a hack will get in mine.

Theres a setting (which mine is on) that states "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". This wont kick you off in the middle of a game, but when you finish, you might see a little icon in your tray asking you to install an update it dled.

LoneWolf121188 said:
Theres a setting (which mine is on) that states "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". This wont kick you off in the middle of a game, but when you finish, you might see a little icon in your tray asking you to install an update it dled.
That's the setting I use, I also do a quick update check when I'm fooling around on the web, surfing the forums or checking e-mail. I've yet to be interupted. I run the windows firewall on, even though I am behind a hardware firewall. No problems what so ever..

i have everything turned off windows update and the firewall etc im using a virus scanner but i only put that on when i can be bothered

i hate crap in my task bar that just clogs up the PC and makes it slow

Back