• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proof that GHz dont matter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure, MHz don't matter as much when you have 32768 cpus. Yes, MHz is bad for comparison between architectures, and you shouldn't just look at it, but it's not like it doesn't matter. For example, if all the cpus in this computer were 800Mhz, it would be a lot faster.

i guess that this means the thread plans to degrade to another "Intel vs AMD"? anyways they should fold with it :-D.... anyways with previous statements i don't see a whole lot that can be said without being called a "fanboy"

darkknight187 said:
anyways with previous statements i don't see a whole lot that can be said without being called a "fanboy"

Yeah... ok, true, I retract my deragatory statement. The only reason I said it was because the poster owns an AMD and started a thread w/ the title he did. It's just asking for ... well, yet another debate.

EDIT: I just looked at the link again and noticed it was a PPC! Ahah... ahahaha.... AHAHAHAHAHA! AMD and Intel fanboys be damned! PPC will own you all! xD [/STUPID]

Its simple, the diffrent between architectures are huge but the proformance is close to being the same....its not a case of which is better the debate is of which one you prefer...

Edit:I really dont know why people try and bash the other company...who cares go with what you like and think is best...

Yeah agreed, I have nothing against Intel nor AMD, I just like harping on my AMD guys a little. I go to school w/ a lot of geeks who had a friend of another friend who hear some guy on CS say, "OMFG!!!!1 AMD IS TEH ROXORZZ!!!!!!!111" and that's how they ended up w/ their AMD rig.

OCForums is a lot different though... I think. :-/

You know what if....AMD and Intel chip combind...then see what happends :p

They both got there perks...they both have there downfalls...I like Pentuims personally but I seen what a amd can do also...there level pegged....get over the Mhz and Cahce dealo

MonroeM said:
Yeah... ok, true, I retract my deragatory statement. The only reason I said it was because the poster owns an AMD and started a thread w/ the title he did. It's just asking for ... well, yet another debate.

Actually, this is the first AMD I have EVER owned, and I got it simply because A) currently SLI is only supported on 939s and B) it was much cheaper than an Intel proc.

Did I really forget to say "please dont let this turn into an Intel/AMD fanboy war"? oops, my bad. I'll say it now, then: PLEASE DONT LET THIS TURN INTO AN INTEL/AMD FANBOY WAR!!!

and actually, @ Chris_F, you dont take 700 and multiply that by the number of procs. all MHz is is a measure of how fast the internal clock ticks, and theres only one system clock (maybe thats not true for supercomputers, so dont quote me on that, but for multiproc servers and such, theres only one clock).

but for comparisons sake, thats what that computer would be equivalent to, right? if you sent out commands to each processor, you would get your results as if it had been calculated by that fast of a computer, no?

Ghz dont matter. GFlops do.

Thats 32k processors. Thats alot of power. Plus it PPC, which is super duper good at math. [someone should borg it ;)]

Chris_F said:
Does anyone have a rough estimate of what the collective power of every computer on earth would be in MIPS and FLOPS?

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many computers there are on Earth? ;)

Oh, and do the few in space count too? :D

i owned 2 intels i cant complain about one bit
the time came to build one for real
i went with amd because it was cheaper and had good luck with them so i stuck with em

anyway thats craziness 23k ghz

Yeah agreed, I have nothing against Intel nor AMD, I just like harping on my AMD guys a little. I go to school w/ a lot of geeks who had a friend of another friend who hear some guy on CS say, "OMFG!!!!1 AMD IS TEH ROXORZZ!!!!!!!111" and that's how they ended up w/ their AMD rig

haha that reminds me of that myg0t movie.

Last edited:
MonroeM said:
^^ second that.

Is it me, or is it only AMD fanboys that all think that G/MHz don't matter?
Its the truth tho. Clocks matter only if the IPC is the same across the board. And "clocks" have bit intel in the *** so obviously it has merit ;)

Back