• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dropped 20c from adding a little more AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killaapp

Hey guys, I recently set up my new computer and noticed I was getting really high temperatures. At 1.3volts, at 3600mhz, under full load, side panel off my case, Delta fan pushing 150cfm of air, I was at 69c. I was so confused, I was idling in the 48c range. I noticed that the LGA775 bracket was holding the xp-120 a little off my processor. I removed the heatsink and put a huge dab of AS5 in the middle of the processor, and then re-attached the xp-120.

My full load temp is now 45c at 3600mhz, and 47c at 4000mhz.

I guess anyone having trouble cooling their LGA775 procs, maybe try dropping a dab of AS5 in the middle of the proc, just incase your socket happens to hold the heatsink a little off the proc too.

Nice tip. Is it possible you dont have the bracket seated properly? I hear the LGAs are a ***** to get a HSF on according to batboy

you shouldn't have to add that much AS5, the gap shouldn't be there in the first place

make sure you have the bracket attached properly, as stated above, they can be a real ***** at times

Sentential said:
Nice tip. Is it possible you dont have the bracket seated properly? I hear the LGAs are a ***** to get a HSF on according to batboy

oh god they are. When i was installing my xp-120 on my AG8 i cut my finger open from trying to get it on. What a nightmare.

Is there any way to tell if the as5 is fake. I got as5, I tried applying, and doesnt seem to make a difference.
Thanks

elec999 said:
Is there any way to tell if the as5 is fake. I got as5, I tried applying, and doesnt seem to make a difference.
Thanks

I can test it for you. If you squirt a tiny bit into a plastic sandwich baggie, put it in an envelope and mail it to me I can tell you of its real or not

I can also send it to a Laboratory and have it tested by 2 Phd's if you put in a check for $500 per sample.

But I can spot check it with accurate results for free. ;)

elec999 said:
Thanks

A lot depends on way you sit heatsink. AS5, similiar as Ceramique, let you to use very thin layer, if only you have flat CPU and heatsink. I hadn't got 20*C drop, but my 13*C drop is also pretty big.

Hm I honestly wouldn't know if I have the bracket seated properly or not - I'm guessing maybe I don't ? Quiet frankly the proc looks really awkward in the Socket - But i seated it a few times and it always looks the same - no idea.

Either way, I'll take my 20c temp drop, even if it meant ugly tactics =P

Going for 4.2 now, priming at 4ghz as I type, 52c full load with side panel on, drops like 5c when i remove the side panel

Silversinksam said:
I can test it for you. If you squirt a tiny bit into a plastic sandwich baggie, put it in an envelope and mail it to me I can tell you of its real or not

I can also send it to a Laboratory and have it tested by 2 Phd's if you put in a check for $500 per sample.

But I can spot check it with accurate results for free. ;)

Mr Silver is there a proper way to store AS5 ?

Wow thank you SO much SilversinkSam, I could have SWORN something was (as you put it so rightly) wrong in Denmark. I was getting horrible temps, and I thought I was just applying my CompUSA Silver Grease wrong... I guess it just turned out my temps were just higher than what I expected because CompUSA shafted us on the materials. You know i wonder if you could sue for false advertising? So thanks again for that absolutly useful bit of information. Oh btw, has CompUSA ever responded with their excuse for the zero silver in their "99.99% silver" product?

I remember I was picking up some TC, and could have gotten AS3 or the CompUSA, and looking at the back they were both like 99.99% micronized silver, but with a $10 difference. So me, being a dumbass, just picked up the CompUSA brand, never giving it a second though...

eek, this is what the OCForums are for... learning =P

anyway, we actually COULD sue them for false advertisement... who's up for it?? they deserve it for selling REALLY cheap parts to normal customers just to raise their company's stock a quarter of a point (taken from Office Space =P... BEST MOVIE EVER!!)

be aware, too much AS5 WILL kill your cpu. My brother stupidly did this....and....well...the cpu is fried. watch how much you put on.

Back