• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got new DFI NF4 ultra, but I can't overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Title pretty well covers it, but I will go into detail. This is my first DFI board, and I tried to overclock my cpu. If the HT bus is 1mhz over 200, it gets to where it would normaly load up windows(don't know exactly what this spot is called), or boot from a cd, and it resets. I have tried numerous settings, and NOTHING seems to make it work. Am I missing something VERY obvious? Ohh, and the nvidia 5.10's would not install, I was forced to use the drivers from the cd.

One last thing, how do I set the ram to 2t? I did not see the option.

Yuriman said:
Title pretty well covers it, but I will go into detail. This is my first DFI board, and I tried to overclock my cpu. If the HT bus is 1mhz over 200, it gets to where it would normaly load up windows(don't know exactly what this spot is called), or boot from a cd, and it resets. I have tried numerous settings, and NOTHING seems to make it work. Am I missing something VERY obvious? Ohh, and the nvidia 5.10's would not install, I was forced to use the drivers from the cd.

One last thing, how do I set the ram to 2t? I did not see the option.

TCCD? SATA?

Give some more info.
There is a new bios at xtremesystems. seems to help alot. Try flashing
Also get the latest forceware drivers from nvidia.

In the bios under the memory settings look for CPC something I think.

musk

512MB of RAM capable of running at 220+ CAS2 Dual Channel with tight timings from a review.

I had the exact same problem, |I fixed it by flashing to a later bios (02/01)

Could someone link me to this modded bios? Ohh, and I tried HT at 5x/4x/3x/2.5x/2x. It would post at 280x9 stock volts(HT at 5x too), with a mem divider keeping my ram at 200mhz, but regardless of what I do, it will NOT get past the screen where it would boot into windows! I am fairly sure its bios related.

Last edited:
Ok, I took pics of the mem settings, I am in a hurry this morning and the pics are bad, but you should be able to make them out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eckyx3/dfi/

One last thing, I installed the nforce firewall and now I cannot update my anti-virus or check me email, even with it disabled. What should I do?

Sentential said:
Are you trying to overclock with 5X htt? I certinaly hope not.

The DFI NF4 motherboards should scale the HTT when overclocking, so manual adjustment is not necessary.

deception``

it would be impossilble to run 5x280, even 4x is a LONG stretch

BTW, might as well flash to 2.09 beta bios while ur at it

deception`` said:
The DFI NF4 motherboards should scale the HTT when overclocking, so manual adjustment is not necessary.

deception``
Gotcha. Thanks for the headsup.

bobmanfoo said:
it would be impossilble to run 5x280, even 4x is a LONG stretch
Maybe yes maybe no. My AV8 (VIA) can go to 286 or so stable with 4X HTT. Granted its because you can volt the hell out of the memory controller / NB and SB but its still physically possible.

Flashed to the new bios, same deal. 1mhz over 200 on the HT and it will not boot into windows. I am still wondering, how do I set 1T memory timings? Also, what is the difference between CPU VID Startup value, CPU VID control and CPU VID special control? Lastly, this new bios has memtest86+ built in, I though that was a bit odd.

Yuriman said:
Flashed to the new bios, same deal. 1mhz over 200 on the HT and it will not boot into windows. I am still wondering, how do I set 1T memory timings? Also, what is the difference between CPU VID Startup value, CPU VID control and CPU VID special control? Lastly, this new bios has memtest86+ built in, I though that was a bit odd.

When it doesn't boot and you get the black screen, do you hear any beeps coming from the motherboard? I'm guessing that your motherboard is having a fit with those Buffalo modules and probably won't play nice unless you try some other sticks.

deception``

deception`` said:
When it doesn't boot and you get the black screen, do you hear any beeps coming from the motherboard? I'm guessing that your motherboard is having a fit with those Buffalo modules and probably won't play nice unless you try some other sticks.

deception``
Yea im having a similar issue with my Hynix as ive stated. Yuriman try runnin asynch.

I am running async, I stated before I used a divider to keep the ram at exactly 200mhz. Anyway using clockgen I was about to get about 2.2ghz out of the cpu, and no matter how much voltage I put in, it would not go up. I also tried raising the chipset voltage up to no avail. Later I will try with one stick of ram, and see what I can get out of it, but until then my chip is perfectly running at stock speeds with 1.2v, which I hear is the lowest AMD says is safe.

1. You should not run your chip below stock voltage. It is believed that you can actually damage the chip that way.

2. When you flashed to the new bios, did you load optimized defaults and clear the CMOS for a period of time? If not, then that's problem number one.

3. Also, holding the insert key after a reboot or exiting the bios will often force the computer to boot up in an otherwise grim situation.

deception``

Once again. Dont assume a damn thing. Push the RAM to 166 or 100. Its a Dram conflict im sure of it. Also try Single-channel with 1 Dimm

Back