• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the reason for card names?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

how do they come up with 9800 or x800 or 6600. i mean, i understand ati started with 7x00 but i dont get why. i also dont get why nvidia names their cards the way they do. i mean, tnt, mx, fx and now 6x00

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
how do they come up with 9800 or x800 or 6600. i mean, i understand ati started with 7x00 but i dont get why. i also dont get why nvidia names their cards the way they do. i mean, tnt, mx, fx and now 6x00
The reason why they named it 6XXX is because its the 6th evoltion of the geforce card. GeforceFX was the 5th.

It's all about making your product sound cool. Thus (I believe) the reason for the number of X's you see in product names :D Throwing an X in the title instantly seems to add a "coolness factor" of 5% or so ;) Cool title = better markitability = more buyers (well, from those who don't research and just look at the boxes in Circuit City or something).

JigPu

Back