• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Water Cooling Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bryan_d

First Water Cooling Build *56K Warning*

Hey all,

I moved to California from Canada and now have found the need for watercooling. I am going to post my progress with my project. It will probably be slow because I am also working on my motorcycle.

I have only acquired the Case and Heatercore for now. The case is an old Cheiftec with the HDD bays taken out to make room for the heatercore. The heatercore is from a Suburban that I got from Ebay for only $10.24. I will be soldering my own fittings on the heatercore.

Next purchase will be the pump, then I can determine the size of fittings that I will need. Everything will be custom except the pump. The waterblocks for the CPU and GPU I will fabricate myself using the Beehive Design with a few twists. Trying to keep everything below $100.00.

Stay tuned:
1ywx1j

1ywx3b

Last edited:
Hey all,

Well I was skimming through good old Ebay and came across a new in box, Hydor Seltz L40. I actually won the item and I will be paying less than $40.00 w/shipping.

What is everyone's take on this pump. I have read that Hydor is nice brand and could not resist it.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan D

PS - Thanks for the replies all.

On another note,

What do you all think is the better idea:
-4 92MM Fans Pulling air through the HC @44.5CFM's each with shroud
-2 120MM in Push/Pull config with shroud undervolted to 7V so maybe around 60CFM each.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan D.

bryan_d said:
The heatercore is from a Suburban that I got from Ebay for only $10.24. I will be soldering my own fittings on the heatercore.

LOL you know what? I think I was trying to win that auction & then you outbid me by pocket change. Never bid the minimum :D. Maybe yours a different Suburban heatercore that ended for the same price but yours looks much like the one in the ebay pictures ;).

If it happens to be the same heater core at least I know it went to a good cause :thup:. I ended up getting a Ford one a few hours after that auction ended anyways for about the same price :santa2:. Good luck on your rig.

for a cheap pump, eheim 1048 or 1250 - or look at the hydor L25 or L35

fur uber-cheap tubing, home depot vinyl tubing - make sure you get 1/8" walled stuff though so that it doesn't kink too easily (1/2" ID x 3/4" OD is my suggestion)

Moto7451 said:
LOL you know what? I think I was trying to win that auction & then you outbid me by pocket change. Never bid the minimum :D. Maybe yours a different Suburban heatercore that ended for the same price but yours looks much like the one in the ebay pictures ;).

If it happens to be the same heater core at least I know it went to a good cause :thup:. I ended up getting a Ford one a few hours after that auction ended anyways for about the same price :santa2:. Good luck on your rig.

Hey sorry man,

I hope there are no hard feelings for my late entry into that bid:D
Glad to hear that you got your core too though!

Bryan D.

Sneaky said:
for a cheap pump, eheim 1048 or 1250 - or look at the hydor L25 or L35

fur uber-cheap tubing, home depot vinyl tubing - make sure you get 1/8" walled stuff though so that it doesn't kink too easily (1/2" ID x 3/4" OD is my suggestion)

Hey man,

Thanks for the info, I got the L40 instead of the ones that you pointed out.

I will buy my tubing from Home Depot for sure though. I also found the Copper Caps there too! I am so excited to get this project rolling:attn:

I'll keep you all posted,
Bryan D.

Generally the tubing at local home improvment stores are horrid for use in watercooling loops. They are thin walled stuff that kinks super easy and generally is not that much cheaper than the 1/8'th wall stuff on mcmaster.

bryan_d said:
Hey sorry man,

I hope there are no hard feelings for my late entry into that bid:D
Glad to hear that you got your core too though!

Bryan D.

No hard feelings, I've won em & lost em like that & all is fair in ebaying :D. This situation actually is better than if I got it cuz this is more amusing. The one I got is more or less identical in shape & size in any case.

I found that a lot of the Lowe's & Home Depots in LA, CA have 1/16" wall 1/2" tubing only for w/e reason (whereas they have 1/8" wall on almost every other ID size). I'm not exactly sure where you're at so maybe the ones near you will have the 1/8" stuff. I have had luck finding it at Osh in the past though.

Greetings all,

I have been lagging a bit, but I have rounded the metal for the W/B Base and the Hydor L40 came from the UPS guy!

Also, SVC was having a sale on 120MM case fans for $4.99 each. I needed four of them and then I found out that if you buy 10 or more, they reduce the price to $2.50 each!!! So it came down to, 4 fans for $20.00 or 10 fans for $25?...
22al34

Will be buying these parts very soon:
2X Copper Caps for W/B
4X 1/2" Barbs
1/2" ID tubing

Thanks for looking,
Bryan D.

PS - When performing some measurements I have found that my little 8RDA has leaked 4 Capacitors and have bulged two others. DANG! I having a hard time finding the right capacitors. Anyone know where to find some 2200uF 10V capacitors? Thnx

HELP!!

I need some good advice about tubing. Well my L40's connections are being a pain. What size tubing is recommended for the fittings? I bought some tubing that is 5/8" ID along with some barbs to hook up to the WB that have 5/8" OD. It is really nice and snug on the L40 but the 5/8" brass barbs fit but not very snugly.

What is everyone's thought on this. Should I just keep the tubing and just clamp the hell out of it or what?

Any help appreciated,
Bryan D.

Here is the new stuff I bought. So what does everyone think? Return and find better tubing and/or barbs?
22xbib

22xbno

Here is the design process of my WB:
22xb9h

22xbf8

Thanks for all the input,
Bryan D.

PS - For all that are keeping, sorry I am jumping all over the place, but I have decided to order my capacitors from www.badcaps.net. I just hope they ship fast.

I got some different HD tubing for the homemade wc setup im making:

P2270147 (Small).JPG

P2270146 (Small).JPG

10 feet of 1/2"id 3/4"od goodness for $6.50 :clap:
Doesnt kink even folded onto itself, this stuff is strong as hell :D
And the condensation was me blowing through it (first time getting 10 feet of tubing, I had to try out its resistance :shrug: )

MameXP said:
well i dont think you can return now as they cut it in length already, its not ethical to return anyway.

You should have bought clearflex from www.mcmaster.com

oh well good luck

I guess now is a good tie to ask this instead of starting a new thread heh. I searched mcmaster for like an hour for clearflex, and tygon, but i dont know which of what i would need to get. theres too many different kinds of each, or Im looking at the wrong stuff.

Could someone point me in the direction to where the RIGHT stuff is located on mcmaster?

And good luck with your setup bryan_d

Back